FRANKLIN, Mass. – The Brandeis men's basketball team used a pair of terrific individual performances to defeat Dean College in their final non-conference game of the season. Junior Jordan Cooper (Weston, Fla./Sagemont School) had 23 points and 14 rebounds, while rookie Eric D'Aguanno (Saunderstown, R.I./St. Andrews School) netted 24 points in 23 minutes off the bench. The Judges improve to 5-6 on the season, while the Bulldogs, who are in the Division III exploratory process, fall to 8-7.
FOR THE JUDGES
- Cooper registered his first career double-double with 23 points and 14 boards.
- His previous career-best on the glass was nine, which had happened twice, including on Saturday against NYU.
- Cooper had six points and seven rebounds in the first half, then added 17 and seven after the break.
- For D'Aguanno, it marked the second-straight career scoring high, after scoring 19 against NYU on Saturday.
- He hit 8-of-15 overall and 7-of-12 3-pointers along with one free throw. The seven 3-pointers in a game were the most by a Judge since Gabriel Moton '14 in 2014 also hit seven.
- 16 of D'Aguanno's 24 points came in the second half.
- Senior Tim Reale (Mason, Ohio/St. Andrews, R.I., School) added 15 points, connecting on 3-of-4 from the field and 9-of-14 from the line.
- Classmate Robinson Vilmont (Cambridge, Mass./Wilbraham and Monson Academy) had a balanced stat line with six points, six rebounds and a game-high five assists.
- Brandeis hit 12 3-pointers for the second game in a row, connecting on 12-of-23 for 52%.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Four Dean starters reached double digits in scoring. Naquwan Solomon and Kendall Hamilton scored 14 points each, while Jerel Carter and Lambert both had 10 points.
- Solomon also led the home team with 10 rebounds and tied with Aziz Gilliam with four assists.
- The Bulldogs outshot Brandeis from the field, 49% (27-59) to 45% (25-56), but only got to the line 13 times compared to 30 for the Judges, who outscored Dean, 21-8, from the charity stripe.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first 15 minutes of the game featured four ties and four lead changes.
- Hamilton hit a trifecta for Dean that gave the Bulldogs a 26-23 lead with 6:04 to go in the first.
- The Judges closed the half on a 17-2 run, sparked by a Cooper jumper that got them within one and a D'Aguanno 3-pointer at the 5:01 mark that gave the visitors the lead for good.
- Junior Nate Meehan (Lowell, Mass./Phillips Andover Acad.) hit two 3-pointers in the key run, while Cooper also had six points.
- Brandeis never let the second-half lead slip below five points, going ahead by as many as 18 on a Cooper lay-up at 11:26 that made it 66-48.
- The Judges return to University Athletic Association play on Friday evening against Carnegie Mellon University at 8:00 p.m., followed by a 12 noon tilt on Sunday against Case Western Reserve for Alumni Family Day.
- Dean meets Central Maine CC on Thursday at 3 p.m. at home.