PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Brandeis University men's fencing team finished an undefeated run through the 2016-17 Northeast Fencing Conference schedule today, going 5-0 in a meet held at Brown University. The women posted a 4-1 record on the day. The men have finished their NFC schedule with a 10-0 record, clinching the three-weapon title outright. The women, at 9-3, await the finish of the third conference meet on Feb. 11 for their final ranking.
- The Judges completed their unbeaten run thanks to three narrow victories, defeating Vassar and Boston College by 15-12 margins and edging host Brown, 14-13.
- Against Vassar, the Judges won saber, 5-4, while the Brewers took foil by the same score. A 6-3 epee victory for Brandeis made the difference thanks to three one-point wins in the first four bouts.
- After Brandeis dispatched club teams Dartmouth and Tufts with ease (25-2 and 23-4), the Judges had a well-timed bye round.
- Brandeis met host Brown in the fifth round of the day. The squads split foil and epee, 7-2 each, with the Judges taking foil. In saber action, Brandeis edged the Bears, 5-4, to take home the win after dropping three of the first four bouts. The Judges were also down 4-3 before juniors Kyle Berney (Shreveport, La./Caddo Magnet School) and Curtis Wilson (Denver, Colo./Kent Denver) each won their final matchups, 5-2.
- Against Boston College in the final round, the Judges faced their NFC co-leaders entering the day. The Eagles had also gone 4-0 in their first four matches and were coming off a bye in round 5. Similar to the match against Brown, Brandeis foil were 7-2 victors, while BC took epee by the same score. Once again the sabre squad provided the difference, this time with a 6-3 win.
- The Brandeis women were one match from completing an unbeaten day for the Judges. They handled their first two matches against Vassar (20-7) and Dartmouth (17-10)
- In the third round against Tufts, Brandeis rode a 7-2 foil win to offset losses in epee, 3-6, and saber, 4-5, to take the 14-13 win. Sophomore Joanne Carminucci (Brewster, N.Y./North Salem) went 3-0 and rookie Jessica Gets (Morganville, N.J./Marlborough) was 2-0 in the winning effort for the foil squad.
- The Judges edged Brown, 15-12, in the fifth round, with another 7-2 foil win to go with a 5-4 saber victory.
- In the final match of the day against Boston College, the Judges' foil squad completed a 5-0 day with a 6-3 win, but the Eagles won epee by the same score and took a 7-2 decision in saber.