Men's soccer rallies but falls to MIT, 3-2, in OT

WALTHAM, Mass. – MIT sophomore midfielder James Zorich (Aurora, Colo.) scored the game-winning goal just 39 seconds into the first overtime today to thwart a two-goal comeback from host Brandeis, 3-2, on Gordon Field.

MIT (5-4) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first half. Sophomore midfielder Chase Lochmiller (Littleton, Colo.) opened the scoring in the 22nd minute by heading home a nice cross by senior midfielder Walter Song (Carrollton, Texas). The Engineers doubled the lead in the 33rd minute when rookie forward Domenic Powell’s (Orlando, Fla.) cross deflected off a Brandeis defender onto the foot of sophomore Joshua Campoverde (Grand Fork, N.D.). Campoverde converted for his second goal of the season.

Brandeis (6-3-1) suffered another setback in the 36th minute. Sophomore goalkeeper Jake Knoll (Gardner, Mass.) challenged Campoverde as he came in alone on the net and suffered an injury, requiring him to be carted off the field. With thoughts of their injured goaltender on their mind, the Judges came out and dominated possession early in the second half. They broke onto the scoreboard just six minutes into the second stanza when rookie reserve midfielder Kevin Murphy (Monson, Mass.) rocketed a shot from 20 yards out that deflected off the MIT keeper and in. Classmate Ben Premo (Florence, Mass.) picked up the assist.

The Judges then scored an equalizer with just over five minutes left in regulation. Senior sweeper Shelton Stewart (Clarendon, Jamaica) had a nice service to Premo. Premo’s shot went off the post and onto the foot of junior back Scott Zackaroff (Bath, Ohio), who cleaned up for his first goal of the season. The Judges gained a corner kick and got the goalie out of position inside of five minutes, but the MIT defense cleared the line and forced the extra session.

Just 39 seconds into the extra frame, Zorich took a flick from sophomore Chris Desrochers (Middleboro, Mass.) and blasted a ball from about 30 yards out. Brandeis senior keeper Pat Makridakis (Mendon, Mass.) looked to make the initial save, but the ball squirted out of his hands and into the net to end the Judges’ second-straight overtime affair.

Knoll made three saves in 35 minutes of work for Brandeis before leaving with this injury, while Makridakis had one stop. Rookie Thomas Caldwell (East Berlin, Pa.) made seven stops for the visitors.

Brandeis plays its first University Athletic Association (UAA) contest at home on its new A-Turf field on Saturday at noon against Rochester, while MIT next faces Babson in a NEWMAC showdown in Wellesley at 2 p.m. the same day.