WALTHAM, Mass. – Brandeis University men's soccer senior captain Conor Lanahan (Avon, Conn./Avon) scored the game-winning goal in the 69th minute tonight as the seventh-ranked Judges improved to 3-1 on the season with a 1-0 win over the visiting Nichols College Bison (1-3).
Lanahan tallied his fifth career goal and his first collegiate game-winner on an indirect kick. Brandeis was awarded the kick after the Nichols goalkeeper handled a pass off the foot of one of his teammates. Junior midfielder Josh Ocel (No. Attleboro, Mass./Worcester Acad.) tapped the ball on the about 10 yards from the net, and Lanahan blasted it home at the 68:12 mark.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Judges owned a 33-6 advantage in shots, 14-1 on net.
- Brandeis senior Kenn Fryer (Wilmington, Mass. / St. John's Prep) made one save in the win.
- Nichols senior Alex Geas (Somers, Conn./Somers) was outstanding for the visitors, making 13 saves, a career-best.
- Ten of Geas's saves came before the game-winning goal.
- The Bison also cleared a ball off the line following senior Michael Chaput's (Holliston, Mass./Holliston) header in the 33rd minute.
- The win was No. 498 in the career of head coach Mike Coven. He will go for No. 499 on Friday evening at Clark University, with No. 500 potentially coming on Saturday against Babson College.
- In his 43rd season, Coven is looking to become the sixth Division III coach and 11th overall in NCAA history with 500 career wins
- He is the second longest-tenured active coach in college soccer behind Tony Tocca of D2 Rockford.
- Brandeis is now 3-1 on the season.
- Nichols falls to 1-3.
- The Judges are 39-2 in the last four regular seasons against non-conference opponents, 45-5-1 since 2012 including the NCAA tournament.
Brandeis is back in action Friday night at Clark University for a 7 p.m. start, with a 5 p.m. home game against Babson on Saturday.