WALTHAM, Massachusetts — The Brandeis University men's soccer team handed visiting Clark University its first non-conference defeat of the season tonight as the Judges got a goal in the second half from senior Mike Lynch (Weymouth, Mass./Weymouth). Brandeis improves to 7-4-3 on the season, while Clark falls to 12-3-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game's lone goal came in the 76th minute. After senior Josh Ocel (No. Attleboro, Mass./Worcester Acad.) was pulled down at the upper corner of the box to draw a penalty kick.
- Ocel's PK was stopped by Clark junior Connor Maguire (Dunstable, Mass. / Groton-Dunstable), but Lynch was there to blast home the rebound for his first goal of the season and his first since the 2013 season.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis outshot Clark, 25-10, including 15-4 in the second half.
- Brandeis junior Ben Woodhouse (Suffield, Conn./Suffield) made one save in the second half on Clark's Mana Chavali (Brookline, Mass./Bridgeton Acad.).
- It was Woodhouse's fifth shutout of the season and 13th of his career.
- Maguire made four stops in the losing effort for the Cougars.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis improves to 30-13-6 overall in the all-time series with Clark.
- The Cougars were ranked third in New England in the first NCAA Regional rankings released today.
- Ocel's assist on the PK was the 25th of his career, making him the fifth player in school history to reach the plateau.
- He also moved into 24th place on the career scoring list with 51 points.
- Brandeis rounds out its non-conference schedule next Tuesday afternoon at near-by Lasell College at 4 p.m.
- Clark is at Emerson College Saturday at 1 p.m. for a NEWMAC contest.
- by Adam Levin '94, SID