WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University men's soccer team closed out its 2017 regular season today with a 1-0 win over rival New York University on Gordon Field. The Judges are 13-4, 5-2 in the University Athletics Association (UAA), good for second place. The Violets are 8-7-2, 0-6-1 UAA, finishing eighth in the conference.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both goalkeepers came up with big first-half saves to keep the game scoreless after 45 minutes.
- Brandeis sophomore Greg Irwin (Passaic, N.J./Seton Hall Prep) made a terrific diving save to his left on NYU senior Nic Notaro (Washington, D.C./St Albans School) in the 25th minute.
- In the 42nd minute, NYU junior Grant Engel (New York, N.Y./Birch Wathen Lenox School) stopped a point-blank shot from Judge junior Andrew Allen (Norfolk, Mass./King Phillip Regional).
- Brandeis sophomore Max Breiter (Lincoln, Mass./Lawrence Academy) headed just wide in the 44th minute to keep the game scoreless.
- Early in the second half, Allen got his revenge on Engel. Sophomore back Alex Walter (Londonderry, N.H./Lawrence Academy) played a ball over the top that released Allen one-on-one. Allen deposited it the back of the net at 46:45 for his fourth goal and first game-winner of the season.
- The Judges were able to keep NYU at bay the rest of the way, as none of their six second-half shots were put on frame.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- For the game, Brandeis outshot NYU, 16-8, including 6-2 in shots on goal.
- The Judges had six corner kicks to the Violets' 1, while NYU committed 14 fouls to 11 for Brandeis.
- Irwin made two saves to record his first career solo shutout.
- Engel had five stops in the losing effort.
BRANDEIS CLASS OF 2018
- This was the 63rd career win for the Brandeis Class of 2018 playing in their final career games.
- Before the contest, the Judges honored
- Forward Marino Espiga (Winchester, Mass./Winchester)
- Forward Patrick Flahive (Chatham, Ill./Worcester Academy)
- Midfielder Christian Hernandez (Revere, Mass./Lawrence Academy)
- Midfielder Beraa Ibas (Ludlow, Mass./Ludlow)
- Defender Ari Karchmer (Brookline, Mass./Brookline)
- Midfielder Brandon Miskin (Needham, Mass./Worcester Academy)
- Midfielder Bernardo Ponte (Cambridge, Mass./Cambridge Rindge and Latin)
- Defender Sam Vinson (Lauderhill, Fla./American Heritage)
- Goalkeeper Ben Woodhouse (Suffield, Conn./Suffield)
- The Judges – ranked third in New England in the final published NCAA Regional Rankings - are in search of a sixth-straight NCAA Division III tournament berth. The NCAA selection show will air Monday at 1:30 p.m. on NCAA.com.