PITTSBURGH, Pa. – The Brandeis University men's soccer team handed host Carnegie Mellon University its first loss of the season today with a key 1-0 University Athletic Association (UAA) victory at the CMU Soccer Field. The Judges improve to 6-4-1 overall on the season, 1-0-1 in the UAA, while the Tartans - ranked No. 8 in Division III by the United Soccer Coaches and by D3soccer.com - fall to 8-1-2, 1-1-0 UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game's lone goal game in the 37th minute. Following a CMU turnover in the defensive zone, senior Devan Casey (Amherst, N.H./Souhegan) dribbled to the top of the box and blasted a shot from 20 yards out that beat the diving Tartan goalkeeper inside the left post.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis outshot CMU, 8-3, in the first half, but the hosts held a 7-0 advantage in the second half to secure a 10-8 margin for the game.
- Carnegie Mellon also owned an 8-5 advantage in corner kicks.
- Brandeis junior Greg Irwin (Passaic, N.J./Seton Hall Prep) made three of his four saves in the second half to secure his fifth shutout of the season and the sixth of his career.
- Carnegie Mellon's Alec Lam had four saves as well, all coming in the first half.
- The game was a bit chippy at times, with 22 fouls (14 on Brandeis, 8 on CMU) and 11 yellow cards (6 on Brandeis, 5 on CMU).
MORE NOTES FROM THE JUDGES' CHAMBERS
- Casey was involved in all three Brandeis goals this week, scoring twice and assisting another.
- The Judges improved to 4-0-1 in their last five meetings with Carnegie Mellon, but this was Brandeis's first road win in the series since 2011.
- The two squads tied in 2016 in the previous meeting in Pittsburgh, and met in Waltham in back-to-back years in 2014 and 2015.
- With a lightning-delayed 2-0 win by the #10 Brandeis women in the second game of the doubleheader, this marks the first-ever road soccer sweep of the Tartans by the Judges.
- The Judges return to Gordon Field for two UAA home games next weekend, taking on Rochester on Friday evening at 5 p.m. and Emory next Sunday at 11 a.m. for Senior Day.