MEN'S SWIMMING RALLIES FOR TIE WITH TRINITY, 144-144
WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis men's swimming and diving team won the final relay of the day to earn a 144-144 tie with visiting Trinity College in Linsey Pool on Saturday.
THE FINAL RACE
- Brandeis trailed, 138-133, headed into the final event, the 200-yard freestyle relay.
- The Judges picked up 11 points thanks to a first-place finish by the quartet of sophomores Evan Thom (Natick, Mass./Natick), Zach Diamond (Staten Island, N.Y./Staten Island Acad.), Taku Harada (Henrico, Va./Mills E. Godwin) and junior Cameron Braz (Monson, Mass./Monson). The Judges swam 1:31.22, edging the Bantams by 0.61 seconds.
- Trinity's two relays took six points with second and third places to keep Brandeis from winning the meet outright.
- Brandeis had four double winners in individual events.
- Braz won two freestyle sprints, the 50 in 23.03 by a margin of 16-hundredths of a second, and the 200 in 1:47.80. He was also second in the 100 free with a time of 49.69 seconds.
- Diamond took the distance freestyle events by large margins, winning the 1000 by 49 seconds with a time of 10:20.13 and the 500 by four seconds in 5:02.13. He was also runner-up to a teammate in the 200 butterfly with a time off 2:05.91.
- Junior Edan Zitelny (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) also had two first and a second. He won the 200 butterfly in 2:02.79 and the 200 backstroke in 2:02.79, edging the Bantams' Alex Wolfson by 0.12 second. He was second in the 200 individual medley in 2:04.34.
- Sophomore Sam Zucker (Omaha, Neb./Anderson) earned 18 points in diving with scores of 132.85 and 191.35 in the two events.
- The Judges are at Bridgewater State on Friday evening, Jan. 22, at 6 p.m.