CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (taken from an MIT press release)
– The Brandeis men's tennis team dropped its final match
before the University Athletic Association (UAA) championship,
falling to local rival MIT, 7-2. The Judges will enter UAAs with a
7-10 record, while MIT improves to 11-1 with its seventh-straight
Peden Nichols and Ryan Castonia gave the Cardinal and Gray its first point of the match after defeating Craig Elman (Woodbridge, Conn./Amity) and Josh Bookman (Weston, Mass./Weston) in the No. 3 doubles slot. Brandeis’ No. 1 tandem of Scott Schulman (Wethersfield, Conn./Wethersfield) and Simon Miller (PLantation, Fla./Plantation) topped Kevin Pang and Ken Van Tilburg, 8-4, to put the visitors on the board. David Iba and Brian Wee put MIT ahead for good following an 8-5 decision against Seth Rogers (Gainesville, Fla./Eastside) and Mayur Kasetty (Northboro, Mass./St. Johns).
Samuel Harmatz surrendered only one game in his 6-0, 6-1 win over Kasetty in the No. 4 singles spot. Ryan Castonia topped Elman, 6-2, 6-1, in the No. 6 position as Pang defeated Miller, 6-4, 6-2, in the No. 2 slot. Wee fought off Rogers, 6-1, 7-6, while Van Tilburg outlasted Schulman, 7-6, 7-6, in the top spot. Bookman battled Nichols in the No. 5 position, eventually emerging with a 6-2, 6-7, 10-8 victory for the Judges.
Both squads return to action on Friday, April 17. MIT will host Bowdoin College while Brandeis will compete in the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championships at the University of Rochester. The Judges' seed will be determined tomorrow.
Brandeis University vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 7, Brandeis 2
1. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Scott Schulman (B), 7-6, 7-6
2. Kevin Pang (M) def. Simon Miller (B), 6-4, 6-2
3. Brian Wee (M) def. Seth Rogers (B), 6-1, 7-6
4. Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Mayur Kasetty (B), 6-0, 6-1
5. Josh Bookman (B) def. Peden Nichols (M), 6-2, 6-7, 10-8
6. Ryan Castonia (M) def. Craig Elman (B), 6-2, 6-1
1. Scott Schulman/Simon Miller (B) def. Kevin Pang/Ken Van Tilburg (M), 8-4
2. David Iba/Brian Wee (M) def. Seth Rogers/Mayur Kasetty (B), 8-5
3. Peden Nichols/Ryan Castonia (M) def. Craig Elman/Josh Bookman (B), 8-2
Brandeis: 7-10. MIT: 11-1.