Men's tennis falls just short against NAIA Palm Beach Atlantic, 5-4
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Five different players contributed wins for the Brandeis men's tennis team in their second match of the spring season, but it wasn't quite enough as NAIA school Palm Beach Atlantic won the decisive match at No. 1 singles to take a 5-4 victory on the Judges' spring trip to Florida. Brandeis falls to 0-2 on the trip and 2-2 overall, while PBA improves to 3-3.
The Judges trailed, 2-1, after doubles action, with the sophomore tandem of Steven Nieman (Forest Hills, N.Y./Benjamin Cardozo) and Mayur Kasetty (Northboro, Mass./St. Johns) earning a late break for a 9-7 win at No. 2. In singles action, senior Scott Schulman (Wethersfield, Conn./Wethersfield) rolled to a 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 2, while rookie Josh Bookman (Weston, Mass./Weston) earned his first collegiate win at No. 6 singles. PBA's wins at No. 4 and 5 singles gave the Sailfish a 4-3 lead, but sophomore Simon Miller (Plantation, Fla./Plantation) knotted the match at No. 3 with a second-set tiebreaker victory, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4). Unfortunately, Nieman was unable to pull off a comeback at the top singles spot, falling 6-2, 3-6, 6-1, to decide the match.
After a day off on Friday, the Judges take on Alma College on Saturday morning.
COLLEGE MEN'S TENNIS
Palm Beach Atlantic 5, Brandeis 4
at Orlando, Fla.
1. Karsi Atanasov (PBA) def. Steven Nieman (BR), 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
2. Scott Schulman (BR) def. Luke Bolanos (PBA), 6-1, 6-1
3. Simon Miller (BR) def. Tyler Dealy (PBA), 6-4, 7-6 (4)
4. John Tilton (PBA) def. Mayur Kasetty (BR), 6-1, 7-5
5. James Buerkle (PBA) def. Craig Elman (BR), 6-1, 6-2
6. Josh Bookman (BR) def. Nick Hines (PBA), 6-2, 6-2
1. Atanasov/Bolanos (PBA) def. Miller/Schulman (BR), 8-6
2. Nieman/Kasetty (BR) def. Dealy/Tilton (PBA), 9-7
3. Buerkle/Hines (PBA) def. Bookman/Elman (BR), 8-4