Men's tennis battles, falls to NYU and Rochester at UAAs
ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- The Brandeis men's tennis team was unable to win a match at the 2009 UAA Men's Tennis Championships at the University of Rochester. The Judges played two hard-fought matches, but fell to NYU, 5-4, in the consolation semifinals and 5-3 to host Rochester in the seventh-place match.
The highlight of the weekend for the Judges was the played of sophomore Simon Miller (Plantation, Fla./Plantation) at No. 3 singles. After picking up the team's only point in an opening-round loss to No. 2-ranked Washington University, Miller kept Brandeis alive in their match against NYU with a three-set victory, 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-2. Against Rochester, he produced a 6-2, 6-1, triumph.
Against NYU, the Judges took a 2-1 lead after doubles play, as Miller and senior Scott Schulman (Wethersfield, Conn./Wethersfield) earned an 8-2 win at No. 1 and sophomore Steven Nieman (Forest Hills, N.Y./Benjamin Cardozo) and rookie Craig Elman (Woodbridge, Conn./Amity) claimed an 8-5 win at No. 3. The Violets won three of the first four singles matches, with Nieman claiming his first singles win in more than a month after a bout of illness with a 6-2, 6-0, win at No. 2. Miller came in at No. 3 to even the match at 4-4, but rookie Josh Bookman (Weston, Mass./Weston) was unable to complete the victory at No. 6, falling 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
In the seventh-place match, it was the Yellowjackets who got off to the quick start in doubles, taking two of three wins. Miller and Schulman got the Judges on the board with an 8-5 win. In singles action, Miller took his point at No. 3, while junior Seth Rogers (Gainesville, Fla./Eastside) was a three-set winner at No. 4, 6-0, 4-6, 6-2. The Judges dropped the match when Nieman ran out of steam at No. 2, falling in three, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0.
UNIVERSITY ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION CHAMPIONSHIPS
at Rochester, N.Y.
New York University 5, Brandeis University 4
Apr 18, 2009 at Rochester, NY
1. Patrick Whitner (NYU) def. Scott Schulman (BRMTEN) 6-3, 6-1
2. Steven Nieman (BRMTEN) def. Craig Berger (NYU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Simon Miller (BRMTEN) def. Calvin Chou (NYU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
4. Eugene Tsarevskiy (NYU) def. Seth Rogers (BRMTEN) 6-4, 6-3
5. Alex Stoler (NYU) def. Mayur Kasetty (BRMTEN) 6-4, 6-4
6. Pavel Zhuravlev (NYU) def. Josh Bookman (BRMTEN) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
1. Miller/Schulman (BRMTEN) def. Chou/Berger (NYU) 8-2
2. Whitner/Stoler (NYU) def. Rogers/Kasetty (BRMTEN) 8-2
3. Nieman/Craig Elman (BRMTEN) def. Matthew Gross/Zhuravlev (NYU) 8-5
Rochester 5, Brandeis University 3
Apr 18, 2009 at Rochester, NY
1. Brian Bowman (URM) def. Scott Schulman (BRMTEN) 6-1, 6-2
2. Bennett Peterson (URM) def. Steven Nieman (BRMTEN) 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
3. Simon Miller (BRMTEN) def. Brian Schmeer (URM) 6-2, 6-1
4. Seth Rogers (BRMTEN) def. Patrick Sheehan (URM) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
5. Jeff Zink (URM) def. Mayur Kasetty (BRMTEN) 6-1, 6-1
1. Miller/Schulman (BRMTEN) def. Bowman/Peterson (URM) 8-5
2. Sheehan/Matt Volkov (URM) def. Rogers/Kasetty (BRMTEN) 8-3
3. Daniel Barbash/Schmeer (URM) def. Craig Elman/Nieman (BRMTEN) 8-4