Miller takes a point, but men's tennis falls to No. 2 WashU, 8-1, in UAA Quarters
ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- The Brandeis University men's tennis team suffered an 8-1 defeat to second-ranked Washington University today in the quarterfinals of the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship tournament at the University of Rochester today.
The top bright spot for the Judges (7-11, 0-1 UAA) was sophomore Simon Miller (Plantation, Fla./Plantation), who earned the lone point for the Judges at No. 3 singles. Miller posted a 7-6, 6-4 win over the Bears' (17-2, 1-0) Danny Levy, winning the tie-breaker, 7-2, to claim the first set. Junior Seth Rogers (Gainesville, Fla./Eastside) won the first set, but fell in a third-set super-tiebreaker at No. 4, 4-6, 6-1, 10-1, to Chris Hoeland.
Brandeis will take on rival NYU in the consolation bracket semifinals tomorrow at 9 a.m. The Judges will hope to avenge a 6-3 loss to the Violets earlier this season.
NCAA DIVISION III MEN'S TENNIS
Washington University 8, Brandeis University 1
Apr 17, 2009 at Rochester, NY
1. John Watts (WASHU) def. Scott Schulman (BRMTEN) 6-0, 6-0
2. Charlie Cutler (WASHU) def. Steven Nieman (BRMTEN) 6-0, 6-2
3. Simon Miller (BRMTEN) def. Danny Levy (WASHU) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
4. Chris Hoeland (WASHU) def. Seth Rogers (BRMTEN) 4-6, 6-1, 10-1
5. Nirmal Choradia (WASHU) def. Mayur Kasetty (BRMTEN) 6-0, 6-0
6. Slavi Fildish (WASHU) def. Josh Bookman (BRMTEN) 6-2, 6-1
1. Charlie Cutler/Chris Hoeland (WASHU) def. Scott Schulman/Simon Miller (BRMTEN) 8-3
2. Max Woods/Isaac Stein (WASHU) def. Seth Rogers/Mayur Kasetty (BRMTEN) 8-2
3. John Watts/Nirmal Choradia (WASHU) def. Craig Elman/Steven Nieman (BRMTEN) 8-1
Brandeis University 7-11, 0-1
Washington University 17-2, 1-0
Quarterfinals of University Athletic Association Men's Championship