Men's tennis drops spring opener to NAIA Webber International, 6-3
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Brandeis University men's tennis team could not overcome a 3-0 deficit after doubles play, earning a split in singles action, as the Judges fell to NAIA Webber International, 6-3, in the opener of their spring trip to Florida. Brandeis is 2-1 after winning their two fall matches, while WIU improves to 2-4 on the season.
After falling behind in doubles action, coach Ben Lamanna's squad picked up their first point at No. 6 singles, where rookie Craig Elman (Woodbridge, Conn./Amity) quickly dispatched his opponent, 6-0, 6-2. The Judges' next points came at the top of the lineup, where sophomore Steven Nieman (Forest Hills, N.Y./Benjamin Cardozo) posted a 6-4, 6-3, triumph at No. 1, while senior captain Scott Schulman (Wethersfield, Conn./Wethersfield), was a 6-3, 6-4 victory at No. 2. Sophomore Mayur Kasetty (Northboro, Mass./Northboro) had a valiant effort at No. 4, but came up short in a third-set super-tiebreaker, 10-2.
The Judges continue their Florida trip tomorrow against another NAIA school, Palm Beach Atlantic University.
Webber International 6, Brandeis 3
At Orlando, Fla.
1. Steven Nieman (B) def. Caio Cardoso 6-4, 6-3
2. Scott Schulman (B) def. Rafael Teixeira 6-3, 6-4
3. Philippe Andermatt (W) def. Simon Miller 6-3, 6-2
4. Reyne Hospedales (W) def. Mayur Kasetty 6-3, 6-7 (3), (10-2)
5. Nacho Cachan (W) def. Josh Bookman 6-3, 6-1
6. Craig Elman (B) def. Patricio Tilca 6-0, 6-2
1. Cardoso/Andermatt (W) def. Miller/Schulman (B) 8-6
2. Teixeira/Cachan (W) def. Nieman/Kasetty (B) 8-3
3. Hospedales/Tilca (W) def. Elman/Bookman (B) 8-5