WALTHAM, Mass. -- The Brandeis men's tennis team kicked off its 2009-10 season with five new faces in the line-up, and the Judges were able to defeat their cross-town rivals, Bentley University, 8-1.
In doubles action, Brandeis juniors Simon Miller (Plantation, Fla./Plantation) and Steven Nieman (Forest Hills, N.Y./Benjamin Cardozo) opened with a 9-7 win in the top spot. Sophomore Mike Tatarsky (Wayne, N.J./Wayne Hills) and newcomer Fred Rozenshteyn (Fair Lawn, N.J./Fair Lawn) were 8-4 winners at No. 2, while junior Ezra Bernstein (Buffalo, N.Y./City Honors School), a transfer from the University of Buffalo, and rookie Dave Yovanoff (Eden, N.Y./Eden) took an 8-5 decision at No. 3
In singles action, another transfer, junior Nick White (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley) from Trinity, suffered the team's only loss, falling to Lorenzo Cara of the Falcons, 6-2, 6-1. Nieman and Rozenshteyn only dropped four games at No. 2 and No. 5, respectively, while Yovanoff's 6-2, 6-1, win at No. 3 was the quickest win of the day. Miller won his first set at love before taking a 7-5 decision in the second, while Judge senior Seth Rogers (Gainesville, Fla./Eastside) won the only match to go beyond two sets, rallying for a 4-6, 6-3, 10-4 win in a super tie-breaker.
Tennis Match Results
Bentley University vs Brandeis University
Sep 16, 2009 at Waltham, Mass.
Brandeis University 8, Bentley University 1
1. Lorenzo Cara (BENT) def. Nick White (BRMTEN) 6-2, 6-1
2. Steven Nieman (BRMTEN) def. Jigar Gada (BENT) 6-0, 6-4
3. Dave Yovanoff (BRMTEN) def. Alec Spycher (BENT) 6-1, 6-2
4. Simon Miller (BRMTEN) def. Victor Suski (BENT) 6-0, 7-5
5. Fred Rozenshteyn (BRMTEN) def. Matt Chase (BENT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Seth Rogers (BRMTEN) def. Ben Karim (BENT) 4-6, 6-3, 10-4
1. Simon Miller/Steven Nieman (BRMTEN) def. Lorenzo Cara/Antonio Zarur (BENT) 9-7
2. Fred Rozenshteyn/Michael Tatarsky (BRMTEN) def. Jigar Gada/Victor Suski (BENT) 8-4
3. Ezra Bernstein/Dave Yovanoff (BRMTEN) def. Alec Spycher/Julian Albert (BENT) 8-5
Bentley University 0-1
Brandeis University 1-0