PITTSBURGH, Pa. -- In today's consolation finals of the 2010 University Athletic Association tournament, the Brandeis men's tennis team, seeded fifth, fell to third-seeded Carnegie Mellon, 5-2. Despite the loss, the Judges' fourth-place finish was their highest under head coach Ben Lamanna, and their best since 2003. Against the seventh-ranked Tartans (18-5), the Judges (9-10) were facing their fifth-straight nationally-ranked squad.
Doubles action was closely contested, with all three matches finishing with an 8-5 score. Brandeis dropped matches at No. 1 and 3, but rookies Steven Milo (Woodbury, N.Y./Syosset) and Dave Yovanoff (Eden, N.J./Eden) won for the second-straight day at No. 2.
In singles action, Milo suffered a 6-3, 6-1 loss at No. 3, but junior Simon Miller (Plantation, Fla./Plantation), who won the decisive match in the Judges' opening round win over Chicago, moved the score to 3-2 with a 6-3, 6-2 win at second singles. After a tight first set, junior Nick White (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley) dropped a 7-5, 6-1 decision at first singles. CMU clinched the match at No. 4 singles. After losing the first set, 6-2, Yovanoff defeated the Tartan's Duke Miller, 7-5, to even the match. Miller responded with a late break for a 7-5 third-set victory and clinch the match for the hosts.
Tennis Match Results
Brandeis University vs Carnegie Mellon University
Apr 25, 2010 at Pittsburgh, Pa.
#7 Carnegie Mellon University 5, Brandeis University 2
1. Alex Nemerov (CMUM) def. Nick White (BRMTEN) 7-5, 6-1
2. Simon Miller (BRMTEN) def. Bobby MacTaggart (CMUM) 6-3, 6-2
3. James Muliawan (CMUM) def. Steven Milo (BRMTEN) 6-3, 6-1
4. Duke Miller (CMUM) def. Dave Yovanoff (BRMTEN) 6-2, 5-7, 7-5
5. Jon Spero (CMUM) vs. Fred Rozenshteyn (BRMTEN) 6-2, 2-1, unfinished
6. Jeremy King (CMUM) vs. Ezra Bernstein (BRMTEN) 6-3, 1-0, unfinished
1. Jeremy King/James Muliawan (CMUM) def. Simon Miller/Nick White (BRMTEN) 8-5
2. Steven Milo/Dave Yovanoff (BRMTEN) def. Bobby MacTaggart/Alex Nemerov (CMUM) 8-5
3. Nikola Ljuboja/Duke Miller (CMUM) def. Michael Tatarsky/Fred Rozenshteyn (BRMTEN) 8-5
Brandeis University 9-10
Carnegie Mellon University 18-5; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,2,1,4)
UAA Third Place Match: #3 Carnegie Mellon vs. #5 Brandeis