Men's tennis opens Florida swing with 6-3 loss at Flagler
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- The Brandeis University men's tennis team opened the spring portion of its 2009-10 season today with the first match of a four-match swing in Florida. The Judges took on Flagler College, ranked No. 34 in Division II and dropped a 6-3 decision. Brandeis suffered its first loss of the season to fall to 2-1, while the Saints improved to 3-0.
After dropping all three doubles matches, the Judges bounced back to earn a split in singles action, winning all three of their matches in third-set super-tiebreakers. Junior Simon Miller (Plantation, Fla./Plantation) rallied from a deep hole at second singles, losing the first set 6-0 before taking the second set, 7-5 and a 10-8 super-tiebreaker in the third. At No. 4, rookie Fred Rozenshteyn (Fair Lawn, N.J./Fair Lawn) won the first set, 6-4, before dropping the second, 6-2, and capturing the super-tiebreaker, 10-6. Junior Steven Nieman (Forest Hills, N.Y./Benjamin Cardozo) earned the Judges' third point at No. 5 with a 3-6, 6-2, 10-6 victory.
Brandeis returns to action tomorrow against another DII foe, Eckerd College.
1) David Cotrone (FL) def. Nick White (BR), 6-1, 6-1
2) Simon Miller (BR) def. Gino Ramirez (FL), 0-6, 7-5, 10-8
3) Harry Snoxell (FL) def. Dave Yovanoff (BR), 6-0, 6-1
4) Fred Rozenshteyn (BR) def. Pete Coulis (FL), 6-4, 2-6, 10-7
5) Steven Nieman (BR) def. Tim Hanson (FL), 3-6, 6-2, 10-6
6) Mason Addision (FL) def. Steven Milo (BR), 6-3, 5-7, 10-7
1) Cotrone/Ramirez (FL) def. Miller/White (BR), 8-4
2) Snoxell/ Hanson (FL) def. Nieman/Mike Tatarsky (BR), 8-3
3) Stephen Coulis/Peter Coulis (FL) def. Milo/Ezra Bernstien (BR), 8-3