Men's tennis sees three-match win streak snapped by #20 Trinity, 8-1
WALTHAM, Mass. -- The Brandeis men's tennis team saw its three-match winning streak come to a halt today as the Judges fell to 20th-ranked Trinity (Conn.) College, 8-1.
The Judges dug themselves a hole by dropping three tight doubles matches. No. 1 and 2 doubles were won by the Bantams by 8-6 margins, while No. 3 was an 8-5 decision for the visitors.
In singles action, rookie Fred Rozenshteyn (Eden, N.J./Eden) won Brandeis's lone point in the sixth position, 6-3, 6-3. Trinity added the clinching points at second and third singles, where sophomore Anson McCook (Miami, Fla/Ransom Everglades) and junior Rich Bonfiglio (Bronxville, N.Y./Bronxville) were straight-set winners. At No. 1 singles, Brandeis junior Nick White (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley), who transfered from Trinity, was unable to top former teammate Spencer Feldman (Upper Brookvile, N.Y./Portledge), falling in a tiebreaker in the second set, 6-1, 7-6 (7-5) for the second-straight match. The Bantams got a pair of three-set wins at four and five for the final margin.
NCAA DIVISION III MEN'S TENNIS
at Waltham, Mass. (Brandeis University)
Trinity (Conn.) 8, Brandeis 1
1. Spencer Feldman/Anson McCook (TR) def. Simon Miller/Nick White (BR), 8-6
2. Rich Bonfiglio/Dan Couzens (TR) def. Steven Milo/David Yovanoff (BR), 8-6
3. Charles McConnell/David Dessau (TR) def. Fred Rozenshteyn/Mike Tatarsky (BR), 8-5
1. Feldman (TR) def. White (BR), 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
2. McCook (TR) def. Miller (BR), 6-4, 6-2
3. Bonfiglio (TR) def. Milo (BR), 6-3, 7-5
4. Couzens (TR) def. Yovanoff (BR), 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
5. McConnell (TR) def. Steven Nieman (BR), 6-4, 5-7, (10-8)
6. Fred Rozenshteyn (BR) def. Adam Lanza (TR), 6-3, 6-3
TEAM RECORDS: Brandeis, 8-7. Trinity, 7-3.