MEDFORD, Mass. -- After dropping two of three doubles matches, the Brandeis men's tennis team rallied to take four of six in singles action and the Judges, ranked No. 14 in the Northeast upended Tufts, 10th in the region, 5-4.
The Judges' lone point in doubles action came at No. 2, where rookies Steven Milo (Woodbury, N.Y./Syosset) and David Yovanoff (Eden, N.Y.) rolled to an 8-1 victory. Brandeis owned leads at first and third doubles, but the Jumbos came back to win both, 8-5, and take the 8-5 edge into singles action.
Coach Ben Lamanna's squad had some impressive performances to reclaim the lead in singles. Junior transfer Nick White (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley) at No. 1 and Milo at No. 5 lost just three games their respective matches - 6-2, 6-1 for White and 6-0, 6-3 for Milo - to put the Judges back ahead. Junior Simon Miller (Plantation, Fla./Planation) added a 6-0, 6-4 win at No. 2 to put the visitors on the brink of victory.
Tufts answered at No. 4 singles, where Andrew Rosen knocked off Brandeis junior Steven Nieman (Forest Hills, N.Y./Benjamin Cardozo) while Sam Laber took a 7-5, 7-5 victory over Yovanoff at No. 3.
That left Rozenshteyn and Jumbo rookie Ben Barad at No. 6. After Barad took the first set, 6-1, Rozenshteyn rallied to earn an individual and the team victory, 6-4, 6-1, in the final two sets.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Brandeis 5, Tufts 4
1. Nick White (B) def. Jake Fountain (T), 6-2, 6-1
2. Simon Miller (B) def. Kai Victoria (T), 6-0, 6-4
3. Sam Laber (T) def. David Yovanoff (B), 7-5, 7-5
4. Andrew Rosen (T) def. Steven Nieman (B), 6-4, 6-3
5. Steven Milo (B) def. Tony Carucci (T), 6-0, 6-3
6. Fred Rozenshteyn (B) def. Ben Barad (T), 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
1. Victoria/Fountain (T) def. White/Miller (B), 8-5
2. Milo/Yovanoff (B) def. Sam Laber/Morrie Bossen (T), 8-1
3. Daniel Landers/Andrew Lutz (T) def. Mike Tatarsky/Rozenshteyn (B), 8-5
TEAM RECORDS: Brandeis, 7-6. Tufts, 3-5.