LEWISTON, Maine (courtesy Bates College sports information)-- The Brandeis men's tennis team, playing its second-straight match without its usual number one player, junior captain Steven Milo (Woodbury, N.Y./Syosset) suffered a 9-0 loss to host and 15th-ranked Bates College today.
The Bobcats (5-4) and the Judges (2-6) are ranked eighth and 10th, respectively, in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's most recent Northeast Region rankings, which came out March 15.
Bates doubles teams have gone undefeated for five straight matches. At No. 1, Matt Bettles and Rob Crampton upended senior Ezra Bernstein (Buffalo, N.Y./City Honors School) and junior Dave Yovanoff (Eden, N.Y./Eden) 8-2. Peter Yanofsky and Kyle DeSisto registered an 8-3 win over rookies Ben Fine (Providence, R.I./Moses Brown School) and Michael Secular (Bronx, N.Y./Plant, Fla.) at third singles, and the Bobcats made it a clean sweep at No. 2 doubles, with an 8-5 decision over junior Josh Jordan (Northboro, Mass./Algonquin Regional) and rookie Alec Siegel (Deerfield, Ill./Deerfield).
Bernstein earned Brandeis's lone set win at No. 4 singles, in a 2-6, 6-2, 6-1 loss to Bates' Jeffrey Beaton. Berg, Bettles, Crampton, Planche and DeSisto all went 2-0 on the day for the Bobcats.
Brandeis next plays at Babson on Monday; Bates plays host to Amherst in a NESCAC match next Saturday.
Bates 9, Brandeis 0
March 31, 2012 at Merrill Indoor Gym
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (Bates) def. Ezra Bernstein/Dave Yovanoff (Brandeis) 8-2
2. Pierre Planche/Timmy Berg (Bates) def. Josh Jordan/Alec Siegel (Brandeis) 8-5
3. Peter Yanofsky/Kyle DeSisto (Bates) def. Ben Fine/Michael Secular (Brandeis) 8-3
1. Berg (Bates) def. Jordan (Brandeis) 6-1, 7-5
2. Bettles (Bates) def. Yovanoff (Brandeis) 6-2, 6-3
3. Crampton (Bates) def. Siegel (Brandeis) 6-3, 6-0
4. Jeff Beaton (Bates) def. Bernstein (Brandeis) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Planche (Bates) def. Secular (Brandeis) 6-2, 6-3
6. DeSisto (Bates) def. Adam Brown (Brandeis) 6-1, 6-2