CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Brandeis women's basketball team picked up its first University Athletic Association (UAA) road win of the season tonight, as the Judges defeated Case Western Reserve, 64-53, in the Spartans' Adelbert Gymnasium. The Judges complete the season sweep of the Spartans as they improve to 10-9 overall, 3-5 in the UAA. Case falls to 6-13, 1-7 UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trailing by one at halftime, 25-24, the Judges doubled up the Spartans in the third quarter, 20-10, to take control of the contest.
- Brandeis held CWRU to just 4-of-19 from the field in the third period, while senior guard Heather Cain (Gloucester, Mass./Gloucester) had two 3-pointers and eight points in seven minutes.
- The Judges were still up 10 on a Maria Jackson (Rochester, N.Y./Hilton) lay-up midway through the fourth that made it 52-42.
- The Spartans answered by scoring seven unanswered points, getting within 52-49 on a Jessica McCoy three-point play.
- Brandeis junior guard Paris Hodges (Southampton, N.Y./Southampton) answered with a lay-up of her own after a Case turnover to push the lead back to five points, 54-49, with 2:38 to go.
- The Judges hit their last eight foul shots to keep the Spartans at bay.
- Brandeis missed just five shots in the fourth, hitting 6-of-10 from the floor (60.0%) and 8-of-9 from the line (88.9%).
- Maria Jackson had a season-high 16 points on 7-of-12 from the field and 2-of-2 from the line. She scored 10 of her 16 in the second half.
- Jackson also led the team with eight rebounds and a career-high 6 blocked shots. The six blocks are the most by a Brandeis player since at least 2005.
- Hodges and Cain also scored in double figures, with Hodges notching 14 points and Cain 10. The two scored 18 of their 24 points in the second half.
- Hodges also led all players with four assists, one off a season-best.
- The Brandeis bench outscored their Case Western Reserve counterparts, 14-3, thanks to a career-high six points in 23 minutes for rookie forward Joelle MarkAnthony (Wallingford, Conn. / Mark T. Sheehan).
FOR CASE WESTERN RESERVE
- Hillary Hellmann led the home team with 17 points and 10 rebounds. She scored 12 of her 17 in the first half.
- McCoy and Laura Mummey also notched 12 points for the Spartans.
- Mummey led CWRU with three assists and three steals.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Case's 28.1% shooting from the field (18-64) was the lowest the Judges have allowed this season.
- Brandeis also shot a season-best 88.2% from the line (15-17) missing just one free throw in each half.
- Brandeis has won five of six in their series against Case, with their first sweep since 2014.
- The Judges travel to Carnegie Mellon on Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. The Tartans took a 66-60 victory over Brandeis in Waltham last week, and knocked off #7 NYU tonight, 70-57. CWRU hosts NYU at the same time.