WALTHAM, Mass. – Brandeis University senior center Maria Jackson (Rochester, N.Y./Hilton) stuffed the stat sheet against her hometown squad, but the Judges' early deficit was too much to overcome as they dropped a 77-65 decision to the University of Rochester in University Athletic Association play today. With the loss, the Judges fall to 11-9 on the season, 3-6 in the UAA, while the 'Jackets improve to 15-5, 6-3 UAA.
JACKSON'S BIG DAY
- Jackson finished 18 points on 9-of-17 shooting, while grabbing a game-high 12 rebounds (six offensive rebounds).
- It was her fourth double-double of the season and the eighth of her career.
- Jackson also led all players with a career-high six steals and blocked three shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The lead changed hands twice in the opening minutes and Brandeis took a brief 7-5 lead on a Jackson jumper 2:29 into the contest.
- Rochester scored 14 unanswered points, going ahead 19-7 on a Lizzy Atkinson 3-pointer with 1:21 to go in the first.
- Jackson and classmate Paris Hodges (Southampton, N.Y./Southampton) each scored in the final 1:06 to cut the lead 19-11 after one.
- UR opened the second period with a 7-2 run that pushed the advantage to 26-13 with 7:26 before the break on an Alexandra Leslie jumper.
- The Judges made a run with 12 of the game's next 14 points, cutting the deficit to 28-25 on a Frankie Pinto (San Clemente, Calif./San Clemente) trifecta just two-and-a-half minutes later.
- Brandeis was still within four points after junior Noel Hodges (Southampton, N.Y./Southampton) hit one-of-two from the line and 2:34 on the clock, but UR scored the last eight points of the stanza, including 3-pointers from Lauren Deming and Lauren Foley to make it a 40-28 Rochester lead at the intermission.
- The Yellowjackets never gave up the momentum in the second half, as the lead never fell below two possessions the final 20 minutes.
- Brandeis was within six on a couple of occasions, but each time, the visitors answered back to halt the Judges' momentum.
- The lead never fell below double digits in the fourth quarter.
- In addition to Jackson, senior Sydney Sodine (New York, N.Y./Half Hollow Hills West) also scored 18 points, hitting 7-of-10 overall an 4-of-6 from the line.
- Paris Hodges finished with 13 points and seven rebounds. Pinto nearly made it four starters in double –figure scoring with nine points.
- Noel Hodges added five points as the fifth starter, but the Brandeis bench produced only two points in 58 minutes of action.
- Senior Kyla Gabriel (Tivoli, N.Y./Red Hook) came off the bench lead all players with five assists.
- Leslie led all scorers with 22 points, hitting 10-of-17 from the floor and both of her free throws.
- Leslie scored 12 points in the first half and 10 in the second.
- Atkinson's 14 points off the bench helped pace the UR reserves to a 24-2 scoring edge.
- Two players tied for UR team-high rebounding honors with seven, while three had four assists.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis stayed in the game thanks to a terrific performance on the glass, outrebounding Rochester, 49-28, including 21-4, on the offensive glass.
- In addition to their bench scoring edge, UR also hit eight 3-pointers to the Judges' two, and outshot Brandeis, 47% (27-58) to 39% (24-67).
- The Judges fall to 4-4 all-time on Super Bowl Sunday when the Patriots are also in action.
- Brandeis continues UAA play at Carnegie Mellon next Friday night at 6 p.m.