NEW YORK, N.Y. – The Brandeis University women's basketball team ended their 2016-17 season on a high note today, completing a season sweep of rival NYU, 50-47, behind the stellar play of senior guard Paris Hodges (Southampton, N.Y./Southampton), who scored 25 points with seven rebounds and five steals. The Judges complete the season at 12-13, 4-10 in the University Athletic Association, finishing in seventh place in the league. NYU is 13-12, 3-11 and eighth in the UAA.
PARIS HODGES'S BIG DAY
- Hodges accounted for half of Brandeis's offense with her career-high 25 points as she played all 40 minutes.
- Her previous career-high was 22 points, most recently in December against Johnson & Wales.
- She hit 11-of-15 from the field, 2-of-5 from 3-point range and 1-of-4 from the line.
- Hodges also tied for team-high honors with seven rebounds and led all players with a career-best five steals.
- Hodges scored 11 of her 25 points in the first quarter, just three fewer than the entire NYU roster.
- She also added seven of Brandeis's 9 fourth-quarter points, just two fewer than the Violets' total.
ALSO FOR THE JUDGES
- Senior guard Frankie Pinto (San Clemente, Calif./San Clemente) had eight points, including two 3-pointers.
- Senior forward Maria Jackson (Rochester, N.Y./Hilton) added seven points and seven rebounds, tied for team-high.
- The Violets put three starters in double figures, led by Amy Harioka with 17 points on 5-of-9, 3-of-4 from downtown and 4-of-4 from the line.
- Kayla Patterson recorded a double-double with 12 points and a game-high 10 rebounds (three offensive).
- Shaye McGoey had 11 points and a team-high three assists, tied with Liv Linebarger.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brandeis shot lights out in the first quarter, hitting 9-of-15 (60%), including 3-of-6 from 3-point range (50%), to take a 21-14 lead.
- NYU also shot well in the first 5-of-8 (62.5%) and 2-of-3 (66.7%), but the Violets committed nine turnovers.
- The hosts got back into things in the second quarter by holding Brandeis to just 2-of-14 (14%).
- NYU closed to within 28-27 on a late Harioka trifecta, but Judge senior Kyla Gabriel (Tivoli, N.Y./Red Hook) hit two free throws to make it 40-37 in favor of the Judges at the break.
- The Violets opened the second half on a 7-3 run, taking their a 34-33 lead, their first since the game's opening bucket, on a Simone Jacques 3-pointer midway through the third quarter.
- The teams were scoreless for the next two minutes until two Sydney Sodine (New York, N.Y./Half Hollow Hills West) free throws gave Brandeis the lead back.
- NYU was within 39-38 with two McGoey free throws with 57 seconds left, but Hodges' lay-up on the next possession helped the Judges maintain their three-point lead.
- Jackson scored the first bucket of the fourth quarter to make it a two-possession game, and the Judges never trailed again.
- After a Hodges lay-up made it 45-41, Brandeis, with 7:18 to go, the defenses held each other scoreless for the next three minutes before the Judges' star of the game scored again to push the lead to six.
- McGoey converted a traditional three-point play with 3:32 to get NYU back within 47-44, and the Violets forced a turnover on the next Brandeis possession, but were unable to convert.
- Hodges responded from beyond the arc with 2:43 to go to make it another six-point game, 50-44, with 2:43 left.
- The Judge defense held NYU to just three free throws the rest of the way to hang on for the three-point win.
BRANDEIS VS. NYU
- The season sweep by Brandeis was their first since 2012-13.
- That was also the last time the Judges defeated the Violets in New York.
- The Brandeis men followed with an 86-80 win in the second game of the DH, marking the first-ever sweep for the Judges in the Big Apple.