Four different players score as women's soccer downs Babson, 4-2

WELLESLEY, Mass. (taken from a Babson College press release) - Visiting Brandeis University erupted for four goals in the first half as the Judges claimed a 4-2 victory over host Babson College in non-conference women's soccer action at Hartwell-Rogers Field on Wednesday afternoon. With the win, Brandeis improved to 2-0-0 on the season, while the Beavers fell to 1-1-0.

Babson opened the scoring at the 10-minute mark, when sophomore Kayla Pomponi (Belmont, Mass.) headed in a cross from junior Jackie Graham (Winchester, Mass.) from the right corner. Brandeis then tied the game six and a half minutes later, when first-year Tiffany Pacheco (Rehoboth, Mass.) made a move around charging goalkeeper Sam Scarpato (Weston, Mass.) on a breakaway and tapped in the Judges' first goal at 16:25. It was Pacheco's first collegiate goal.

Brandeis broke the game open with three scores in the final 20 minutes of the first half, beginning with sophomore Melissa Gorenkoff's (Woodbury, N.Y.) goal off a Pacheco rebound at 25:30. First-year Ellie Einhorn (Winter Park, Fla.) then knocked in a pass from senior Sarah Jasak (Middletown, N.J.) at 29:37, and first-year Kelly Cozzens (Lancaster, Mass.) took another feed from Jasak and slid a shot inside the far post from the left side at 39:59, giving the Judges a 4-1 lead.

Pomponi cut Babson's deficit back to two with her second goal of the game at 49:30, but that would be the final goal of the contest for either team. Sophomore Hillary Rosenzweig (Boca Raton, Fla.) went the distance in net for the Judges, finishing with seven saves, while first-year Sofia Vallone (Westport, Conn.) also blocked a shot at the goal line on a header by Babson senior captain Meg Lynch (Holden, Mass.) late in the second half.

Scarpato made one save in the first half before giving way to first-year Kristy Benoit (Shrewsbury, Mass.), who stopped three shots in the second stanza. Lynch also made a big defensive play early on when she blocked a shot by junior Meredith Milstein (Waterford, Mich.) at the goal line less than six minutes into the contest.