CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Brandeis women's soccer team, ranked No. 25 in Division III by the NSCAA, scored four goals in a span of just over 10 minutes in the second half as the Judges roared past host MIT, 4-1, in the season opener for both teams.
After falling behind in the 71st minute, rookie Hannah Maatallah (Wilton, Conn. / Wilton) notched the equalizer 3:38 later on an assist by junior Cidney Moscovitch (Coral Springs, Fla. / Coral Glades) at the 74:37 mark.
That opened the floodgates for the Judges. Sophomore Samantha Schwartz (Highland Park, Ill. / Highland Park) scored on a helper by senior Allyson Parziale (Pinehurst, N.C. / Pinecrest) 2:07 later. Schwartz added an assist 3:33 after that on Lea McDaniel's (Phoenix, Ariz. / Chaparral) third career goal, and senior Holly Szafran (Homewood, Ala. / Newton (Mass.) North) closed out the scoring 4:53 later at the 85:11 mark.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis owned an 8-2 edge in shots in the first half, 5-0, in shots on goal.
- MIT's Lauren Ullman stopped the first 10 shots Brandeis put on the frame before the visitors broke through, finishing with 11 saves.
- Ullman had four stops on Brandeis senior Alec Spivack (Miami, Fla./Miami Palmetto) alone. Spivack saw her first action since missing the final 14 games of 2014 to injury and receiving a medical hardship for a fifth season.
- MIT's Jennifer Ibanez started the scoring with a goal on just the Engineers second shot on frame. Rookie Amy Apostol had the assist.
VS. THE ENGINEERS
- MIT handed the Judges a 1-0 loss in their season opener last year, Brandeis's only non-conference defeat of the regular season.
- It's the first time since 2011 the series was decided by a score other than 1-0.
MORE ON SAMANTHA SCHWARTZ
- Schwartz tied for the UAA lead with five game-winning goals as a freshman and picked up the sixth of her career.
- It was her third career game with a goal and an assist (9/6/14 vs Lasell, 9/9/14 vs. Bridgewater State.
Brandeis is back in action Friday, Sept. 4 when they travel down Route 30 to Lasell College. The Judges meet Bridgewater State in their home opener next Tuesday, Sept. 7, at 7 p.m.
- Adam Levin '94