NEWTON, Mass. – The Brandeis women's soccer team, ranked No. 25 in Division III by the NSCAA, got a game-winning goal just 41 seconds after host Lasell College had equalized, giving the Judges a 2-1 non-conference victory this afternoon.
The Judges opened the scoring 20 minutes into the contest on a goal by senior Alec Spivack (Miami, Fla./Miami Palmetto). She found the back of the net through a defensive scramble in the box.
The Lasers tied the game up with 11:48 to go in regulation, when senior Bridget Munnelly found junior Megan Cullen with a perfect cross from the right sideline.
The Judges answered less than a minute later when a pair of juniors teamed up. Cidney Moscovitch (Coral Springs, Fla./Coral Gables) found Lea McDaniel (Phoenix, Ariz./Chaparral) with a cross with 10:27 left in the game. It was McDaniel's second goal in as many games and the fourth of her career. It was also her first collegiate game-winner.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis outshot Lasell, 16-8, including 12-3 in shots on goal.
- Judge junior Alexis Grossman (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) had two saves, one in each half.
- Lasell's Sarah Laclair had 10 stops, six in the first stanza.
- Brandeis had a chance to go ahead in the 62nd minute, but Holly Szafran (Homewood, Ala./Newton North) was flagged for offsides before putting one in the back of the net.
- Cullen's goal for Lasell was her second of the season.
- Brandeis is now 2-0 on the season
- Lasell falls to 0-2
- The Judges are 9-1 all-time against their local rivals.
Brandeis meets Bridgewater State University next Tuesday, September 8, at 7:00 p.m. in their home opener.