WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University women's soccer team posted their first shutout of the season today, defeating the visiting Regis College Pride, 4-0, on Gordon Field. Sophomore forward Haliana Burhans (Charlotte, Vt./Champlain Valley Union) had a goal and an assist to lead the Judges, ranked No. 23 in the nation in Division III by D3Soccer.com and No. 25 by the NSCAA.
Burhans helped get the scoring started early in the 7th minute with her first assist of the season. She made a long run down the left flank and sent a cross to junior forward Cidney Moscovitch (Coral Springs, Fla./Coral Glades), who chipped it over the Regis keeper. It was her Moscovitch's first goal of the season.
After the Pride kept Brandeis off the board for the rest of the first half, the Judges wasted little time in the second getting on the board. Just 50 seconds in, sophomore Samantha Schwartz (Highland Park, Ill./Highland Park) found junior Lea McDaniel (Phoenix, Ariz./Chaparral) through a scramble in front of the net. McDaniel buried her fourth goal in as many games.
In the 63rd minute, senior Holly Szafran (Homewood, Ala./Newton (Mass.) North) chipped a ball to sophomore Sarah Hulit (Ellicott City, Md./Wilde Lake) in front of the open net. Hulit sent it toward the goal mouth and rookie Sasha Sunday (Bethlehem, Pa./Allentown Central Catholic) redirected it home for her second of the season. Burhans closed out the scoring in the 75th minute with an unassisted goal.
Brandeis 6:12 Moscovitch, Cidney (1) (Burhans, Haliana)
Brandeis 45:50 McDaniel, Lea (4) (Schwartz, Samantha)
Brandeis 62:03 Sunday, Sasha (2) (Szafran, Holly & Hulit, Sarah)
Brandeis 74:27 Burhans, Haliana (1) (unassisted)
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Judges outshot Regis, 35-1, with Moscovitch's six attempts leading the team.
- Regis's lone shot came in the 87th minute, when sophomore Erin Loehner (Danvers, Mass./Danvers) redirected a free kick with her head, but it was well wide.
- The Judges had allowed one goal in each of their previous three games before logging their first shutout.
- Last season, Brandeis had 11 clean sheets.
- Junior Alexis Grossman (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) and senior Katy Lehmann (Houston, Texas/Cypress Creek) were not tested. Grossman played the first 56 minutes and Lehmann the final 34.
- Pride senior Rachel Gagnon (Ashford, Conn./E.O. Smith) made 11 saves in the losing effort.
MORE ON BURHANS
- Haliana Burhans was making her first career start in her 24th collegiate game.
- The goal was the first of her career, while the assist was her third.
- It was only the second time this season a Brandeis player had more than two points in a game. (Schwartz, 1-1-3, Sept. 1 at MIT).
- Brandeis is now 4-0 on the season.
- Regis falls to 0-2-1.
- Brandeis leads the all-time series with Regis, 13-0-1.
- The Judges are 4-0 for the third time in the last four seasons.
- Last year, they dropped their season opener, but won the next 11 in a row.
Brandeis is back in action Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. against UMass Boston before meeting Wheaton College a week from today.