WALTHAM, Massachusetts — In a battle of two of the top four teams in New England Division III women's soccer, third-ranked Brandeis University scored three first-half goals and went on to defeat fourth-ranked Eastern Connecticut State University, 5-0. The Judges, ranked #13 nationally by the NSCAA and #12 by D3soccer.com, improve to 6-0 for the second year in a row. ECSU suffers their first defeat to fall to 3-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- All three of Brandeis's first-half goals came on rebounds.
- In the 31st minute, ECSU keeper Kaley Kennedy (Enfield, Connecticut/Erinco Fermi) made a terrific diving save on Brandeis junior Haliana Burhans (Charlotte, Vermont/Champlain Valley Union), but senior Lea McDaniel (Phoenix, Arizona/Chaparral) was there to slam home the loose ball for her eighth goal and fourth game-winner of the season.
- In the 38th minute, it was a shot blocked by a defender on another attempt by McDaniel that presented an open net for junior Samantha Schwartz (Highland Park, Illinois/Highland Park), who scored her second of the season.
- Just 80 seconds later, ECSU reserve Kayla Lebreque (Westhampton, Massachusetts/Hampshire Regional) came off her line to prevent Burhans from getting off a quality shot, but it left the net clear for sophomore Hannah Maatallah (Wilton, Connecticut/Wilton) to convert her third goal of the campaign.
- In the second half, the Judges scored twice more, with Schwartz making a nifty move on a defender after receiving senior Cidney Moscovitch's (Coral Springs, Florida/Coral Glades) through ball in the 63rd minute.
- In the 65th , it was sophomore Sasha Sunday (Bethlehem, Pennsylvania/Allentown Central Catholic) who closed the scoring with her first of the season on a cross from Maatallah.
- Brandeis senior Alexis Grossman (Syosset, New York/Syosset) had four saves to extend the team's shutout streak to start the season to 540 minutes.
- Grossman had not had to make save in the Judges' previous two games.
- The shutout was the 15th of her career.
- All four saves came in the second half, including a pair of nice stops on Warrior junior McKenzie Reimondo (Portland, Connecticut/Portland).
- The Judges' record for consecutive shutouts is eight in a row, set in the 2007-08 seasons and matched in 2014.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ECSU starter Kennedy had six saves and gave up one goal in the first 35 minutes before leaving due to injury.
- Labrecque had four saves and allowed four goals in the next 51 minutes before rookie Sarah Fahey (Auburn, Massachusetts/Auburn) played the final 3:30.
- The Judges outshot Eastern Connecticut 33-6, including 20-1 in the first half.
- Schwartz's two-goal game was the second of her career (9/9/14 at Bridgewater State).
- Brandeis picks up their first-ever win in five meetings with ECSU (1-3-1).
- The teams hadn't met since 1992 – when current Brandeis Director of Athletics Lynne Dempsey '93 played goalie in a 1-0 Warrior win.
- Brandeis plays host to Wentworth Institute Thursday night at 7 p.m.
- ECSU opens Little East play Saturday at UMass Dartmouth at 5 p.m.
- by Adam Levin '94, SID