CHICAGO, Ill. – The Brandeis University women's soccer team saw a 13-match unbeaten streak snapped today as the Judges dropped a battle of top 10 teams to the University of Chicago, 2-1. The Judges, ranked #8 in Division III by D3Soccer.com and the NSCAA, fall to 12-1-1, 2-1 in the University Athletic Association. The Maroons, ranked #7 by D3soccer.com and #11 by the NSCAA, improve to 11-1, 2-1 UAA. The two squads are now part of a four-way tie for first place in the University Athletic Association with Emory and Carnegie Mellon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brandeis survived a scoreless first half despite getting outshot, 9-2.
- The Judges had a chance in the 13th minute when senior back Michaela Friedman (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y./Comsewogue) had an initial shot saved by the UC keeper and the follow-up shot cleared off the line by a defender.
- Chicago's best chance came in the 38th minute when Mia Calamari hit the crossbar.
- The Maroons broke the deadlock in the 52nd minute. Calamari shot from the right side of the 18-yard box and hit the crossbar. The rebound fell to a wide open Kaitlin Price, who buried her first of the season.
- The hosts got a key insurance goal in the 68th minute when Sophia Kim found Jenna McKinney about 12 yards from goal. McKinney spun and shot along the ground, beating the keeper inside the near post for her eighth of the season.
- The Judges weren't done as junior Haliana Burhans (Charlotte, Vt./Champlain Valley Union) scored one-v-one against the Chicago keeper with 17 minutes in regulation. Sophomore Hannah Maatallah (Wilton, Conn./Wilton) picked up the assist.
- Unfortunately, Brandeis was unable to penetrate to get another shot off to send the game to overtime.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Chicago outshot Brandeis, 16-6, for the match.
- Brandeis senior Alexis Grossman (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) made six saves in the losing effort. UC's Katie Donovan had one save, but the Maroons twice saw defenders clear the ball off the line.
- Brandeis had not allowed two goals in a game since Oct. 3 of last year.
- The Judges' 13-game unbeaten streak (12-0-1) is the longest single-season streak in school history. Brandeis had a 16-match unbeaten streak that spanned the end of the 2003 (5-0-3) and start of 2004 (8-0) seasons.
- The 12-1-1 mark is still the best 14-game record in school history.
- Brandeis heads to St. Louis for another UAA sshowdown between nationally-ranked squads on Sunday when they meet the Bears (#15 NSCAA, #22 D3Soccer.com) at noon EST (11:00 AM Central)