WALTHAM, Massachusetts — The Brandeis University women's soccer team outshot Rochester, 19-9, and had two shots cleared off the line, but the visiting Yellowjackets were able to find the back of the net to upset the Judges, 1-0, in a University Athletic Association (UAA) contest on Gordon Field today. With the loss, the Judges (Ranked #14 nationally by D3soccer.com and #17 by the NSCAA) fall to 13-3-2 on the season, 2-3-1 in the UAA. Rochester improves to 5-7-5, 2-3-1 UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges' first had a ball stopped by a defender in the ninth minute, when UR's Guiliana Vasili (Pittsford, N.Y./Pittsford Sutherland) denied Brandeis senior Lea McDaniel (Phoenix, Ariz./Chaparral).
- Brandeis's Alexis Grossman (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) made a terrific save in the 17th minute against Rochester's Lee Stagg (Winter Springs, Fla./Winter Springs), going to her left to punch a ball past the far post.
- The visitors got the only goal of the game in the 29th minute. Sophomore Megan Runyan (Lake Villa, Ill./Carmel Catholic) found the head of rookie Jorie Freitag (Ridgefield, Wash./Seton Catholic Prep). Freitag flicked it on net, where sophomore Kerri Eden (Easton, Conn./Joel Barlow) finished for her first goal of the season.
- The Judges put two more shots on net before the half, but UR's Samantha Hlavac (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield South) made the stops.
- Hlavac preserved the tie in the 48th minute, when she tipped Jessica Morana's (Shrewsbury, Mass./Shrewsbury) shot over the crossbar.
- In the 59th minute, Grossman punched away another shot, off the foot of Paige Gloster (Cincinnati, Ohio/Indian Hill), to a Judge defender who cleared the ball.
- Brandeis sophomore Sasha Sunday (Bethlehem, Pa./Allentown Central Catholic) had a terrific chance in the 82nd minute to equalize during a scrum, but her initial shot was redirected by a UR defender, and her follow-up shot was snatched out of the air by Hlavac.
- Hlavac denied Judge back Michaela Friedman (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y./Comsewogue) in the 88th minute on a free kick from just outside the 18-yard box in the Judges' final quality chance.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- In addition to their 19-9 shooting advantage, the Judges also took 12 corner kicks to UR's 3.
- Both Grossman and Hlavac finished with six saves.
- The shutout was only the second suffered by the Judges this season.
- Prior to the match, Brandeis honored its six seniors who played in their final regular-season home game today.
- In addition to Friedman, Grossman, McDaniel and Morana
- Brandeis closes out the regular season next Saturday when they travel to NYU for an 11 a.m. UAA match.
- 30 -