RIVERDALE, N.Y. – The Brandeis women's soccer team controlled play and got a late equalizer, but the Judges weren't able to emerge with a win in their University Athletic Association finale, earning a 1-1 draw at NYU at Gaelic Park in Riverdale. The Judges' regular-season comes to a close with a 13-3-3 record, 2-3-2 in the UAA. NYU closes at 10-3-5, 1-2-4 UAA. Both teams will await their postseason fate on Monday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- NYU opened the scoring in the 19th minute when Lexi Clarke beat a defender and found an opening just inside the 18-yard box. She fired the ball toward the far post and beat Brandeis senior Alexis Grossman (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) for her fourth goal of the season.
- The Judges controlled play in the second half, outshooting NYU, 14-1, with 13 corner kicks, and Brandeis eventually converted in the 76th minute. Sophomore Sam Volpe (Groton, Mass./Groton School) found senior Cidney Moscovitch (Coral Springs, Fla./Coral Glades) streaking to net, and Moscovitch put her seventh goal of the season in the back of the net.
- The Violets outshot Brandeis, 4-3, in overtime, but the Judges put two of their shots on goal.
- NYU goalkeeper Cassie Steinberg made 12 saves to preserve the tie and get the point for the Violets.
- Grossman made two saves for Brandeis.
- Brandeis will await the NCAA Division III Tournament selection show on Monday at 1:30 p.m. to learn if they will be making a third-straight NCAA Tournament appearance. The Judges were third in New England in the most recent NCAA regional ranking. The video will be streamed at http://www.ncaa.com/live/player?vid=2016/2725&date=2016/11/07