BOSTON, Mass. – The Brandeis University women's soccer team got a golden goal from junior Sasha Sunday (Bethlehem, Pa./Allentown Central Catholic) in the 102nd minute, giving the sixth-ranked Judges a road victory over Wentworth Institute of Technology. The Judges improve to 3-1 with the win, while the Leopards fall to 1-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brandeis outshot Wentworth, 24-8, for the game, including 22-6 in regulation. The Judges put nine of their shots on goal.
- After a scoreless first half, the visitors had a chance to break the ice in the 64th minute after a penalty was called in the box resulting in a penalty kick, but the attempt hit the post and deflected wide.
- WIT netminder Christie Fleming made five of her eight saves in the final 26 minutes of regulation, including a point-blank header on Brandeis senior Haliana Burhans (Charlotte, Vt./Champlain Valley Union) in the 88th minute.
- The home team came out strong in the first overtime period, earning two of their five corner kicks for the game and getting off two of their eight shots.
- Brandeis rookie midfielder Daria Bakhtiari (Wilmington, Mass./Central Catholic) nearly ended the contest with 15 seconds left in the first extra session when she hit the crossbar.
- Sunday ended the game with the first shot attempt of the second OT period at 101:38 when she buried a cross from classmate Maddie Marx (Winchester, Mass./Winchester).
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Fleming finished with eight saves, while Brandeis sophomore Sierra Dana (Lobard, Ill./Glenbard East) was untested in earning her second shutout of the season.
- Sunday's goal was her second of the season, both of which have been game-winners. It was the sixth goal of her career.
- Marx's assist was her first career point in her 30th game.
- Brandeis continues its three-match road trip on Wednesday evening at Eastern Connecticut State University at 7 p.m.
- Wentworth plays host to UMass Dartmouth Tuesday night, also at 7 p.m.