WALTHAM, Mass. – Behind a pair of goals from junior Julia Matson (Rockland, Mass./Rockland), the Brandeis University women's soccer team won their sixth-straight match this afternoon as the Judges defeated visiting Babson College, 3-0, on Gordon Field. The Judges, ranked 15th in Division III by D3soccer.com and 25th by the United Soccer Coaches, improve to 6-1. The Beavers fall to 3-4 with the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brandeis got all the scoring they would need in the 30th minute. Rookie back Mackenzie Smith (Northborough, Mass./Algonquin Regional) took advantage of some swirling winds, as her tough angle shot popped into the air and was misjudged by the Babson keeper into the net. It was Smith's second of the season.
- Matson scored the first of her two goals in the 62nd with a terrific individual effort. After stepping in front of a Babson header, she dribbled past two defenders and launched a shot from just inside the 18-yard box that beat a diving Maddison Gierschick.
- Ain the 70th minute, Matson had another nifty move, as she took a through ball from classmate Katie Hayes (Eau Clair, Wisc./Regis H.S.) into the left corner of the box, cut back to avoid a defender, and lofted a shot into the right netting. It was her second goal of the game, third of the season and the fourth of her career.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis outshot Babson, 17-6, for the game, including 11-3 in the second half.
- The Beavers were whistled for 11 fouls to just three for Brandeis.
- Brandeis sophomore Sierra Dana (Lombard, Ill./Glenbard East) had four saves in the win. It was her third career shutout.
- Gierschick had four saves in the losing effort.
- Brandeis has won six in a row in the series with Babson to improve to 22-18-3 all-time.
- Brandeis takes on Tufts University on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. on Gordon Field.
- Babson opens their NEWMAC schedule at Clark University at the same time.