CLEVELAND, Ohio – Junior Becca Buchman (Rockville Centre, N.Y./South Side) made her first career goal a game-winner today as the Brandeis University women's soccer team went on the road and defeated Case Western Reserve University, 3-0, in the University Athletic Association (UAA) opener for both teams. The Judges, ranked #19 nationally in the D3soccer.com poll and #24 in the United Soccer Coaches poll, improve to 8-1-1, 1-0 in the UAA, while the Spartans fall to 4-6, 0-1 UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game-winning goal came in the 31st minute. Junior Sasha Sunday (Bethlehem, Pa./Allentown Central Catholic) crossed a ball through the box, and Buchman was on the other end to redirect it home.
- The Judges added a pair of insurance goals in a span of 67 seconds in the second half.
- At the 66:03 mark, senior Samantha Schwartz (Highland Park, Ill./Highland Park) netted her team-leading sixth goal of the season when she was released one-on-one with the goalie on a cross from Sunday, who earned her second assist of the game.
- At 67:10, junior Emily Thiem (Kinnelon, N.J./Kinnelon) scored her second goal of the season when her long shot from 30 yards out found the back of the net.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis outshot Case Western Reserve, 20-6, including 7-1 in the first half and 13-5 in the second.
- The Judges also owned a 7-2 advantage in corner kicks.
- Sophomore Sierra Dana (Lombard, Ill./Glenbard East) made two saves to record her third shutout of the season.
- CWRU's Laura Unterborn had seven saves in the losing effort.
- With her two assists today, Sunday has scored a point in all but one of Brandeis's 10 games this season.
- Sunday ranks third in the UAA with six assists and fifth with 16 points.
- Schwartz's six goals are fifth in the conference this season.
- The Judges are unbeaten in their last nine games (8-0-1).
- Brandeis travels to Lesley University on Tuesday evening for a 8 p.m. match before hosting Carnegie Mellon (#13 United Soccer Coaches, #18 D3Soccer.com) Saturday at 1:30 p.m. for Homecoming.