WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University women's soccer team suffered a 2-0 set-back to top-ranked and undefeated University of Chicago today on Gordon Field. The Judges, ranked 23rd in the D3soccer.com national poll, fall to 11-4-3 overall, 2-3-1 in the University Athletic Association. The Maroons – No. 1 in the D3soccer.com and United Soccer Coaches national polls - improve to 17-0-0, 6-0-0 in the UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Chicago got all the scoring they would need just 8:20 into the contest. Senior forward Madori Spiker (Temecula, Calif./Chapparal) sent a through-ball to junior Jenna McKinney (Tampa, Fla./Plant), who netted her team-leading 11th goal of the season, second-most in the UAA.
- The Maroons doubled their lead early in the second half, when rookie forward Katie Jasminski (Ridgefield, Conn./Ridgefield) took advantage of a misplay by the Brandeis goalie to fire into the open net.
- Brandeis put seven of their 14 shots on frame, with two of their best chances coming in the second half. Judge sophomore Julia Matson (Rockland, Mass./Rockland) shot a rocket just wide in the 71st minute, and UC keeper Miranda Malone (Cary, Ill. / Cary-Grove) denied a nice give-and-go shot by Brandeis junior Sasha Sunday (Bethlehem, Pa./Allentown Central Catholic) in the 74th minute.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Chicago outshot Brandeis, 20-14, for the game, including 13-6 in the second half.
- The Judges put seven shots on frame to just six for UC.
- Chicago had nine corner kicks to three for the Judges.
- Maroon sophomore Katie Donovan (New Canaan, Conn./New Canaan) made five saves in the first 45 minutes to earn the win, while Malone had two stops in second half.
- Brandeis grad student Frankie Pinto (San Clemente, Calif./San Clemente) made four saves in her third straight start in goal.
- Brandeis will close out their regular season next Saturday at 2:30 p.m. with a match against #25 NYU
- Chicago will meet #6 and defending national champions Washington University for the UAA title next weekend in the Windy City.