WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. (taken from a Williams College press release)– The Brandeis University women's soccer team saw its 2017 season come to a close this afternoon as the Judges suffered a 3-0 loss at the hands of sixth-ranked Williams College in the second round of the NCAA Division III tournament. The Judges' season wraps up with a 12-5-4 record, while the Ephs continue on with an 18-1-1 mark.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brandeis began the game with a prolonged spell of possession on the left wing. The Judges kept the ball under pressure, but Williams defender Liz Webber blocked a cross from Brandeis tri-captain forward Haliana Burhans (Charlotte, Vt./Champlain Valley Union).
- In the ninth minute, the Judges saw the first scoring chance of the day. Sophomore forward Sasha Sunday (Bethlehem, Pa./Allentown Central Catholic) sent in a corner kick, and junior forward Julia Matson (Rockland, Mass./ Rockland) rose to head the ball. Matson's shot, however, went over the crossbar.
- The Ephs scored in the 11th minute. On the right wing, forward Natasha Albaneze controlled the ball off a throw-in and turned past her defender. Running toward the end line, Albaneze sent a soaring ball into the penalty area. The ball sailed over the outstretched arm of grad student goalkeeper Frankie Pinto (San Clemente, Calif./San Clemente) and into the top-left corner.
- The score remained 1-0 until halftime. Williams had a 14-3 shot advantage in the period. Pinto made three saves for the Judges, while Eph goalkeeper Olivia Barnhill had one.
- Williams struck for its second goal in the 64th minute. Midfielder Aspen Pierson took a shot from distance that Pinto saved, but the rebound bounced loose in the box. Eph forward Sydney Jones raced in and knocked the ball into the net.
- Brandeis had its best chance of the game in the 88th minute. Senior forward Samantha Schwartz (Highland Park, Ill./Highland Park) ran onto a ball past Williams' back line and ran free into the box. She sent a shot toward the far post, but Barnhill got a hand on the ball and deflected it over the end line.
- The Ephs added a third goal in the final minute of the game. Georgia Lord hit a hard shot from the edge of the box. Pinto reached the ball but could only tip it off the crossbar. The rebound bounced straight to Jones, who tapped it in for her second goal of the day.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Williams outshot Brandeis, 29-5, including 11-3 in shots on goal. The Ephs also owned an 8-3 edge in corner kicks.
- Pinto made a career-high seven saves in her final appearance for the Judges.
- Barnhill kept a clean sheet with three stops.
- The Judges' 2017 season comes to a close with the team's fourth-straight NCAA tournament berth, a first for the program.
- Brandeis loses just two seniors from their roster, Burhans and Schwartz, and should return several players from injury.
- This was the second meeting between Brandeis and Williams – both won by the Ephs in the second round of the NCAA Division III tournament.
- Williams advances to the sectional round, where they will meet the winner of the second-round match between Cal Lutheran and Pacific Lutheran, which will take place at 10 p.m. Eastern. The sectionals will be at a place and time to be determined next weekend.