Women's tennis falls to Colgate, 7-2, to open spring schedule
WALTHAM, Mass. -- The Brandeis University women's tennis team opened the 2009 portion of their schedule today with a challenging match against Colgate University, coming out on the short end of a 7-2 decision against the Division I squad.
After dropping all three doubles matches to fall behind, 3-0, the Judges rallied to take the first two singles points. Sophomore Rachel Rosman (Bonita Springs, Fla./Estero) breezed at No. 1, 6-2, 6-3, to earn Brandeis's first point, while junior Ariana Sanai (Hopewell Junction, N.Y./John Jay) took a 6-3, 6-3 decision at No. 3.
The Red Raiders got back on track at No. 2 singles, where rookie Alexandra Erickson (Minnetonka, Minn./Hopkins) rallied from an early break for a 7-5, 6-3, victory. Colgate then clinched the match at No. 4 when junior Cameron Williams (Winnetka, Ill./New Trier) earned a 6-1, 6-4 victory after rallying from 4-1 down in the second set. CU also claimed wins at No. 5 and 6 to close out the match.
With the loss, Brandeis falls to 2-1 in 2008-09, while Colgate picks up their first win to improve to 1-3.
Tennis Match Results
Colgate University vs Brandeis
Feb 07, 2009 at Waltham, Mass.
Colgate University 7, Brandeis 2
1. Rachel Rosman (BRWTEN) def. Elise Derose (COLGATE) 6-2, 6-3
2. Alexandra Erickson (COLGATE) def. Gabrielle Helfgott (BRWTEN) 7-5, 6-3
3. Ariana Sanai (BRWTEN) def. Erin Fenn (COLGATE) 6-3, 6-3
4. Cameron Williams (COLGATE) def. Mackenzie Gallegos (BRWTEN) 6-1, 6-4
5. Cameron Thaney (COLGATE) def. Emily Weisberger (BRWTEN) 6-2, 6-1
6. Stephanie Brown (COLGATE) def. Sarah Richman (BRWTEN) 6-4, 6-3
1. Elise Derose/Cameron Williams (COLGATE) def. Rachel Rosman/Gabrielle Helfgott (BRWTEN) 8-5
2. Erin Fenn/Cameron Thaney (COLGATE) def. Mackenzie Gallegos/Sarah Richman (BRWTEN) 8-5
3. Alexandra Erickson/Stephanie Brown (COLGATE) def. Ariana Sanai/Emily Weisberger (BRWTEN) 8-2
Colgate University 1-3