ORLANDO, Fla. - The Brandeis women's tennis team fell to 1-1 on their spring trip and 3-2 overall today with a 7-2 defeat at the hands of NAIA school Palm Beach Atlantic University (2-4). The Sailfish opened up a commanding 3-0 lead after doubles action and captured a pair of early singles wins to clinch the win. Brandeis got on the board at No. 4 singles, where sophomore Mackenzie Gallegos (Friendswood, Texas/Friendswood) earned a 6-4, 6-1, victory, while All-UAA junior Emily Weisberger (Wayne, N.J./Wayne Hills) was a 7-5, 6-4 victory ay No. 5. Sophomore Rachel Rosman (Bonita Springs, Fla./Estero) suffered just her second loss of the season at No. 1 singles in an epic tie-breaker in the second set, falling 6-4, 7-6 (16-14).
The Judges are next in action on Saturday morning against Alma College.
COLLEGE WOMEN'S TENNIS
Palm Beach Atlantic 7, Brandeis 2
at Orlando, Fla.
1. Montse Ripoll (PBA) def. Rachel Rosman (BR), 6-4, 7-6 (14)
2. Olga Alexseeva (PBA) def. Gabrielle Helfgott (BR), 6-1, 6-4
3. Lina Rubiano (PBA) def. Ariana Sanai (BR), 6-1, 6-2
4. Mackenzie Gallegos (BR) def. Natalie Aleman (PBA), 6-4, 6-1
5. Emily Weisberger (BR) def. Katie Livesay (PBA), 7-5, 6-4
6. Pamela Artigas (PBA) def. Davida Judelson (BR), 6-0, 6-0
1. Ripoll/Alexseeva (PBA) def. Rosman/Helfgott (BR), 8-5
2. Rubiano/Aleman (PBA) def. Sanai/Gallegos (BR), 8-3
3. Livesay/Artigas (PBA) def. Weisberger/Judelson (BR), 8-2