Women's tennis downs Simmons, 6-3
WALTHAM, Mass. - The Brandeis women's tennis team (2-0) closed out its fall dual match season on Tuesday afternoon with a 6-3 win over Simmons College (9-5).
The Judges jumped out to a 2-1 lead after doubles action thanks to wins in the top two spots. Swift singles victories at No. 1 by sophomore Rachel Rosman (Bonita Springs, Fla.), who won 6-1, 6-0, and at No. 3 by classmate Mackenzie Gallegos (Friendswood, Texas) with a 6-1, 6-1, victory, put the Judges on the brink of clinching. Simmons rookie Athena Lynch (Andover, Mass.) took a 6-2, 6-1, win at No. 6 singles to keep the Sharks alive, but Brandeis senior Gabrielle Helfgott (Newton, Mass.) clinched the match at No. 2 with a 6-3, 6-1 win. Simmons also got a point at No. 4 singles from sophomore Katy Hallinan (Lakeville, Mass.), who won in a third-set super-tiebreaker 3-6, 6-2, 10-8.
Brandeis 6, Simmons 3
1. Rachel Rosman (BRWTEN) def. Maile Macleod (SIM) 6-1, 6-0
2. Gabrielle Helfgott (BRWTEN) def. Stacey Kohan (SIM) 6-3, 6-1
3. Mackenzie Gallegos (BRWTEN) def. Maggie Taylor (SIM) 6-1, 6-1
4. Katy Hallinan (SIM) def. Sarah Richman (BRWTEN) 3-6, 6-2, 10-8
5. Nina Levine (BRWTEN) def. Jordan Borash (SIM) 6-2, 5-7, 10-4
6. Athena Lynch (SIM) def. Davida Judelson (BRWTEN) 6-2, 6-1
1. Rachel Rosman/Sarah Richman (BRWTEN) def. Maile Macleod/Stacey Kohan (SIM) 8-3
2. Mackenzie Gallegos/Gabrielle Helfgott (BRWTEN) def. Maggie Taylor/Liza Pope (SIM) 8-1
3. Jordan Borash/Athena Lynch (SIM) def. Nina Levine/Ria Chadha (BRWTEN) 8-5