Women's tennis falls to Trinity, 5-4
HARTFORD, Conn. -- Despite jumping out to a 2-1 lead after
doubles play and winning the top two singles matches, the
Brandeis women's tennis team could not extend its winning
streak to three matches as the Judges dropped a 5-4 decision at
Trinity College today.
The Judges had one double-winner on the day, senior Gabrielle Helfgott (Newton, Mass./Noble & Greenough). Helfgott and rookie Nina Levine (Westport, Conn./Staples) teamed for an 8-5 win at No. 2 doubles, and Helfgott secured a 6-1, 6-4 victory at No. 2 singles. Sophomore Rachel Rosman (Bonita Springs, Fla./Estero) added a 6-3, 6-4, win at No. 1 singles, but the Bantams clinched the match at No. 3 singles, where Sarah Gould defeated Brandeis junior Ariana Sanai (Hopewell Junction, N.Y./John Jay), 6-2, 6-2, for the winning point.
Trinity improves to 7-2 with the win, while Brandeis falls to 8-4.
1. Rachel Rosman (B) d. Amanda Tramont (T), 6-3, 6-4
2. Gabrielle Helfgott (B) d. Arielle Leben (T), 6-1, 6-4
3. Sarah Gould (T) d. Ariana Sanai (B), 6-2, 6-2
4. Jillian Steckloff (T) d. Mackenzie Gallegos (B), 6-2, 6-4
5. Robyn Williams (T) d. Emily Weisberger (B), 6-1, 6-1
6. Olivia Merns (T) d. Nina Levine (B), 6-2, 6-0
1. Tramont/Gould (T) d Rosman/Gallegos (B), 8-3
2. Helfgott/Levine (B) d. Merns/Williams (T), 8-5
3. Sanai/Weisberger (B) d. Leben/Steckloff (T), 8-7 (8-6)