Tennis teams earn split at Bates
LEWISTON, Maine -- On a beautiful Saturday afternoon in Lewiston, Maine, the Brandeis University tennis teams earned a split with host Bates College, with a pair of nationally-ranked squads coming out on top. The 29th-ranked Brandeis women edged the Bobcats, 5-4, with senior Ariana Sanai (Hopewell Junction, N.Y./John Jay) clinching the match at No. 3 singles, but the men fell to the 29th-ranked hosts, 6-3.
On the women's side, the Judges evened their record at 5-5 with the narrow victory. Brandeis jumped out to a 2-1 victory in doubles action as Sanai and sophomore Nina Levine (Westport, Conn./Staples) earned an 8-3 victory at No. 3 and rookie Faith Broderick (Washingtonville, N.Y./Washingtonville) followed by junior Rachel Rosman (Bonita Springs, Fla./Estero) earning an 8-6 decision at No. 1.
In singles action, Rosman easily dispatched her opponent at No. 2, 6-0, 6-1, for the Judges' third point, while classmate Mackenzie Gallegos (Friendswood, Texas/Friendswood) also posted a bagel in her 6-4, 6-0, win at No. 4. Levine was unable to hang on after winning the first set at No. 5, but Sanai finished off the Bobcats at No. 3, 7-5, 6-2.
On the men's side, Brandeis dropped to 5-5 with a tough loss. The Judges had an excellent shot to sweep doubles, as juniors Simon Miller (Planation, Fla./Plantation) and Nick White (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley) picked up an 8-5 win at No. 1, defeating a team that a member of the 2009 NCAA Division III doubles champions, but were unable to hang on to leads at No. 2 and 3, falling 8-9 and 6-8, respectively.
In singles action, the Judges' two wins came at the bottom of the line-up, where junior Steven Nieman (Forest Hills, N.Y./Benjamin Cardozo) rallied from a set down to win in a third-set supertiebreaker, 5-7, 6-1, 10-6, while rookie Steven Milo (Syosset, N.Y./Woodbury) improved to 10-2 on the season at No. 6 with a 6-2, 6-1 victory. Miller played the day's longest match at No. 2, ultimately falling in a third-set supertiebreaker, 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 8-10.
Brandeis 5, Bates 4
1. Alex Piacquad (Bates) def Faith Broderick (Brandeis) 6-3, 6-7(0), 10-5
2. Rachel Rosman (Brandeis) def Meg Anderson (Bates) 6-0, 6-1
3. Ariana Sanai (Brandeis) def Kaie Helfgott (Bates) 7-5, 6-2
4. Mackenzie Gallegos (Brandeis) def Ashley Brunk (Bates) 6-4, 6-0
5. Erika Blauth (Bates) def Nina Levine (Brandeis) 6-7(4), 6-2, 6-2
6. Nicole Russell (Bates) def Sarah Richman (Brandeis) 6-3, 6-4
1. Broderick/Rosman (Brandeis) def Anderson/Piacquad (Bates) 8-6
2. Russell/Brunk (Bates) def Gallegos/Richman (Brandeis) 8-6
3. Sanai/Levine (Brandeis) def Blauth/Helfgott (Bates) 8-3
Bates 6, Brandeis 3
1. Amrit Rupasinghe (Bates) def Nick White (Brandeis) 6-1, 6-4
2. Michael Reiss (Bates) def Simon Miller (Brandeis) 7-5, 6-7(4), 10-8
3. Max Berger (Bates) def Dave Yovanoff (Brandeis) 6-1, 6-1
4. Matthew Bettles (Bates) def Fred Rozenshteyn (Brandeis) 6-2, 6-0
5. Steven Nieman (Brandeis) def Zach Fenno (Bates) 5-7, 6-1, 10-6
6. Steven Milo (Brandeis) def Jeffrey Beaton (Bates) 6-2, 6-1
1. Miller/White (Brandeis) def Rupsinghe/Reiss (Bates) 8-5
2. Berger/Beaton (Bates) def Milo/Yovanoff (Brandeis) 9-8(0)
3. Fenno/Ryan Mannelly (Bates) def Nieman/Michael Tatarsky (Brandeis) 8-6