ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- In a battle of two nationally-ranked squads, the Brandeis women's tennis team, No. 29 in Division III, fell to the No. 46 team in Division II, Flagler College, by an 8-1 score. The match was the Judges' first of four on their spring trip to Florida to open the second half of their 2009-10 season. The loss drops Brandeis to 3-1, while the Saints improve to 2-0 on the campaign.
Brandeis's lone point came at second singles, where rookie Faith Broderick (Washingtonville, N.Y./Washingtonville) defeated Lauren Pffeifer, 6-4, 6-4. Junior Rachel Rosman (Bonita Falls, Fla./Estero) went to three sets at No. 1 singles before bowing, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.
The Judges continue their Southern swing tomorrow at Florida Institute of Technology.
1) Chelsi deCuba (FL) def. Rachel Rosman (BR), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
2) Faith Broderick (BR) def Lauren Pfeiffer (FL), 6-4, 6-4
3) Deon Miller (FL) def. Ariana Sanai (BR), 6-2, 6-4
4) Jennifer Saviano (FL) def. Mackenzie Gallegos (BR), 6-0 6-0
5) Chelsea Taylor (FL) def Nina Levine (BR), 6-1, 6-3
6) Rachel Gould (FL) def. Emily Weisberger (BR), 6-0, 6-1
1) deCuba/Pfeiffer (FL) def. Gallegos/Rosman (BR), 8-4
2) Saviano/Taylor (FL) def. Broderick/Sara Richman (BR), 8-3
3) Miller/Gould (FL) def. Levine/Sanai (BR), 8-2