WALTHAM, Mass. -- The Brandeis University women's tennis team opened its 2011-12 season with a 9-0 win over visiting Simmons College today. The Judges did not drop a set and had four 6-0 sets in singles action.
The bottom of the lineup had a productive outing, as sophomores Alex Katz (Philadelphia, Pa./Abington Friends) and Marissa Lazar (Hewlett, N.Y./Lynbrook) lost just three games between them in both singles and doubles action. The two opened with an 8-1 win at third doubles. Katz had the first singles match to end at No. 5 singles, sweeping her opponent, 6-0, 6-0, while Lazar earned a 6-0, 6-2, victory at No. 6 in her second collegiate singles match.
The best match of the day came at first singles, where rookie Carley Cooke (San Diego, Calif./Point Loma) made her collegiate debut with a 7-6, 6-0, victory in the No. 1 spot. Cooke trailed Simmons' sophomore Margaret Teague (Manchester, N.H.), 5-2 in the first before battling back to win 11 of the last 12 games of the match. Cooke took the tiebreaker in the first set by a 7-2 score. Brandeis sophomore Roberta Bergstein (Hingham, Mass./Hingham) also edged her opponent, Simmons sophomore Allison Bodek (Lynnfield, Mass.), 6-4, 7-5.
Tennis Match Results
Simmons vs Brandeis University
Sep 13, 2011 at Waltham, Mass.
(Rieger Tennis Courts)
Brandeis University 9, Simmons 0
1. Carley Cooke (BRWTEN) def. Margaret Teague (SIM) 7-6 (7-2), 6-0
2. Allyson Bernstein (BRWTEN) def. Sabrina Salmela (SIM) 7-5, retired
3. Roberta Bergstein (BRWTEN) def. Allison Bodek (SIM) 6-4, 7-5
4. Nina Levine (BRWTEN) def. Nicole Eskenazi (SIM) 6-4, 6-1
5. Alexa Katz (BRWTEN) def. Rachel Sweeney (SIM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Marissa Lazar (BRWTEN) def. Heather Rotti (SIM) 6-0, 6-2
1. Carley Cooke/Nina Levine (BRWTEN) def. Allison Bodek/Margaret Teague (SIM) 8-4
2. Roberta Bergstein/Allyson Bernstein (BRWTEN) def. Nicole Eskenazi/Sabrina Salmela (SIM) 8-4
3. Alexa Katz/Marissa Lazar (BRWTEN) def. Heather Rotti/Rachel Sweeney (SIM) 8-1
Brandeis University 1-0