Tennis teams sweep Chapman
ORANGE, Calif. – The Brandeis University tennis teams earned a sweep of Chapman University as part of their February break trip to California. On Wednesday afternoon, the 22nd-ranked women defeated the No. 23 Panthers, 7-2. On Thursday, the men edged CU, 5-4.
In the women's match, the Judges took a 2-1 lead after doubles action. Sophomore Carley Cooke (San Diego, Calif./Point Loma) and senior Faith Broderick (Washingtonville, N.Y./Washingtonville) took an 8-3 win at No. 1, while sophomore Simone Vandroff (Moss Beach, Calif. / Half Moon Bay) and junior Allyson Bernstein (Northbrook, Ill. / Glenbrook North) won 8-4 at No. 2. That duo rolled in singles action, as both earned 6-0, 6-0 victories at No. 3 and 4. Cooke had a similarly easy time at No. 1, dropping just one game in the first set and none in the second. Broderick and junior Roberta Bergstein (Hingham, Mass./Hingham) each won by a 6-2, 6-4 score at No. 2 and No. 5 singles, respectively to help the Judges improve to 2-1 on the season.
In the men's match, Brandeis trailed the Panthers, 2-1, after doubles action. The top duo of Steven Milo (Woodbury, N.Y./Syosset) and Josh Jordan (Northborough, Mass./Algonquin Regional) earned the Judges' lone point, 8-3. Brandeis rallied for four of the six singles matches, however, winning all four in straight sets. Milo was the day's only double winner with a 6-3, 6-3, victor at No. 1. Sophomore Alec Siegel (Deerfield, Ill. / Deerfield) won by the same score at No. 6, while the remaining points for the Judges came in the middle of the lineup, where senior Dave Yovanoff (Eden, N.Y./Eden) was a 6-4, 6-2, winner at No. 3, and rookie Mitch Krems (Thousand Oaks, Calif./Century Acad.) won 7-5, 6-3, at No. 4 to complete the victory.
Both Judges teams are in action on Friday, Feb. 22, against Claremont-Mudd-Scripps. The Stags are No. 5 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association men's rankings, while the Athenas are No. 8 in the ITA women's poll.
#22 Brandeis University 7, #23 Chapman University 2
Feb 20, 2013 at Orange, CA (Chapman Tennis Courts)
1. Carley Cooke (BR) def. Andrea Hammer (CHAP) 6-1, 6-0
2. Faith Broderick (BR) def. Sophia Duong (CHAP) 6-2, 6-4
3. Allyson Bernstein (BR) def. Arielle Kubetschek (CHAP) 6-0, 6-0
4. Simone Vandroff (BR) def. Anna Nelson (CHAP) 6-0, 6-0
5. Roberta Bergstein (BR) def. Genna Ford (CHAP) 6-2, 6-4
6. Kelley Klebenow (CHAP) def. Alexa Katz (BU) 6-4, 7-6
1. Carley Cooke/Faith Broderick (BR) def. Andrea Hammer/Sophia Duong (CHAP) 8-3
2. Simone Vandroff/Allyson Bernstein (BR) def. Genna Ford/Madison Mathis (CHAP) 8-4
3. Arielle Kubetschek/Kelley Klebenow (CHAP) def. Maya Vasser/Roberta Bergstein (BR) 8-4
Brandeis University 2-1
Chapman University 0-2
Brandeis 5, Chapman 4
Feb 21, 2013 at Orange, Calif.
1. Steven Milo (BR) def. Kyle Coates (CHAP) 6-3, 6-3
2. Troy Akin (CHAP) def. Josh Jordan (BR) 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (9-7)
3. Dave Yovanoff (BR) def. Brett Buford (CHAP) 6-4, 6-2
4. Mitch Krems (BR) def. Nick Mulflur (CHAP) 7-5, 6-3
5. Chris Williams (CHAP) def. Michael Secular (BR) 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, (11-9)
6. Alec Siegel (BR) def. Sam Farzani (CHAP) 6-3, 6-3
1. Steven Milo/Josh Jordan (BR) def. Troy Akin/Brett Buford (CHAP) 8-3
2. Kyle Coates/Chris Williams (CHAP) def. Alec Siegel/Mitch Krems (BR) 8-5
3. Nick Mulflur/Erik Williams (CHAP) def. Dave Yovanoff/Michael Secular (BR) 8-6
Brandeis 1-1. Chapman 2-2.