WALTHAM, Mass. -- The Brandeis University women's tennis team finished in fifth place at the 2013 Nor'Easter Bowl, an event the Judges co-hosted with Wellesley College. The Judges, ranked No. 26 in Division III, lost in the opening round to No. 24 Trinity, 7-2, on Friday afternoon. They bounced back with consecutive 6-3 wins over No. 29 Bates on Saturday afternoon and No. 28 Mary Washington on Sunday morning.
In the opening round, Brandeis picked up wins at No. 1 doubles, where sophomore Carley Cooke (San Diego, Calif./Point Loma) and senior Faith Broderick (Washingtonville, N.Y./Washingtonville) were 8-6 winners, and at No. 4 singles, where sophomore Simone Vandroff (Moss Beach, Calif. / Half Moon Bay) had a tight first set and speedy second in a 7-5, 6-0 victory. Unfortunately, the Bantams took the other two doubles matches and earned four straight-set singles wins for the 7-2 victory.
In the consolation semifinals, the Judges faced Bates College for the second time this season, having defeated the Bobcats, 5-4, on March 16. The win went a bit smoother this time, with Brandeis taking two of three doubles and four of six singles for a 6-3 win. Cooke and Broderick were 8-5 victors in the first doubles position, while Vandroff and junior Roberta Bergstein (Hingham, Mass./Hingham) rolled at No. 2, 8-2. In singles action, Brandeis had two matches - Broderick at No. 1 and junior Allyson Bernstein (Northbrook, Ill./Glenbrook North) at No. 3 - in which they lost just one game across the two sets. Broderick was nearly as efficient, winning 6-2, 6-0, at No. 2, while Bergstein took a 6-4, 6-2, triumph at No. 4.
Finally, in the fifth-place match, the Judges opened up a quick 3-0 lead over Mary Washington after doubles. Cooke and Broderick edged the Eagles' top tandem, 8-6, while Vandroff and Bergstein were 8-3 winners at No. 2. The third team of sophomore Dylan Schlesinger (Miami, Fla./Palmetto) and Maya Vasser (New Rochelle, N.Y./New Rochelle) earned Brandeis's first win at that position, 8-5. The squads split singles matches, with UMW knocking off Cooke and Broderick at the top two spots. The teams split the next two singles matches to finish at No. 3, where Bernstein was a 6-3, 6-2 winner, while Paige Weinberg picked up a win for Mary Washington at No. 6 over Brandeis's Alexa Katz (Philadelphia, Pa./Abington Friends) in a tight match, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2), cutting the Brandeis lead to 4-3.
In the final two matches at No. 4 and No. 5 singles, Bergstein and Vandroff, each fell behind by a set before rallying to victory. Bergstein took a 3-6, 6-4, 6-3, triumph, while Vandroff's 4-6, 7-5, 6-4, victory gave her a team-best 4-1 record on the weekend.
The Judges emerge from the Nor'Easter Bowl with a 6-5 record. They will host another ranked team, No. 27 Wellesley, which went 0-3 this weekend, on Wednesday afternoon at 3 p.m.
1. Carley Cooke/Faith Broderick (BRWTEN) def. Hillary Hoyt/Melita Ferjanic (TRIN), 8-6
2. Morgan Feldman/Senzo Maphisa (TRIN) def. Simone Vandroff/Roberta Bergstein (BRWTEN), 8-6
3. Regan Cherna/Elizabeth Gerber (TRIN) def. Allyson Bernstein/Marissa Lazar (BRWTEN), 8-3
1. Melita Ferjanic (TRIN) def. Carley Cooke (BRWTEN), 6-4, 6-2
2. Hillary Hoyt (TRIN) def. Faith Broderick (BRWTEN), 6-4, 6-2
3. Morgan Feldman (TRIN) def. Allyson Bernstein (BRWTEN), 6-3, 6-2
4. Simone Vandroff (BRWTEN) def. Regan Cherna (TRIN), 7-5, 6-0
5. Senzo Maphisa (TRIN) def. Roberta Bergstein (BRWTEN), 6-1, 6-1
6. Frances Cameron (TRIN) def. Alexa Katz (BRWTEN), 6-4, 6-7(7-3), (10-7)
1. Carley Cooke/Faith Broderick (BRWTEN) def. Elena Mandzhukova/Ashley Brunk (BATES), 8-5
2. Simone Vandroff/Roberta Bergstein (BRWTEN) def. Jacquelyn Holmes/Lucy Brennan (BATES), 8-2
3. Nicole Russell/Kristen Doerer (BATES) def. Dylan Schlesinger/Maya Vasser (BRWTEN), 8-4
1. Carley Cooke (BRWTEN) def. Elena Mandzhukova, (BATES), 6-1, 6-0
2. Faith Broderick (BRWTEN) def. Jacquelyn Holmes (BATES), 6-0, 6-2
3. Allyson Bernstein (BRWTEN) def. Ashley Brunk (BATES), 6-0, 6-1
4. Roberta Bergstein (BRWTEN) def. Lucy Brennan (BATES), 6-4, 6-2
5. Nicole Russell (BATES) def. Alexa Katz (BRWTEN), 2-6, 6-4, (10-6)
6. Audrey Grauer (BATES) def. Maya Vasser (BRWTEN), 7-5, 2-6, (10-3)
1. Carley Cooke/Faith Broderick (BRWTEN) def. Lindsay Raulston/Shelby Harris (UMW), 8-6
2. Simone Vandroff/Roberta Bergstein (BRWTEN) def. Cassie Bowman/Alex Ritter (UMW), 8-3
3. Dylan Schlesinger/Maya Vasser (BRWTEN) def. Mackenzie Smith/Paige Weinberg (UMW), 8-5
1. Lindsay Raulston (UMW) def. Carley Cooke (BRWTEN), 6-3, 6-1
2. Shelby Harris (UMW) def. Faith Broderick (BRWTEN), 7-5, 6-4
3. Allyson Bernstein (BRWTEN) def. Cassie Bowman (UMW), 6-3, 6-2
4. Roberta Bergstein (BRWTEN) def. Alex Ritter (UMW), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Simone Vandroff (BRWTEN) def. Chrissy Gaul (UMW), 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
6. Pauge Weinberg (UMW) def. Alexa Katz (BRWTEN), 6-4, 7-6(2)