WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University tennis teams picked up a pair of 9-0 victories this afternoon as the Judges swept Wheaton (Mass.) College. The 17th-ranked men's team improved to 13-3 on the season, their highest win in the 13 years under head coach Ben Lamanna, while the 22nd-ranked women moved to 10-6 to clinch their eight-straight 10-win season.
Before the matches, the Judges honored their three seniors: Haley Cohen (Cherry Hill, N.J./Laurel Springs Prep) on the women's side, and Eric Goldberg (Solon, Ohio/Solon) and Billy Wilson (Los Angeles, Calif./The Buckley School) for the men.
HOW IT HAPPENED – WOMEN
- The women posted seven love sets among their nine matches. That included Cohen and junior Olivia Leavitt (Falmouth, Maine/Falmouth) winning 8-0 at No. 2 doubles.
- Overall, the Judges lost just five doubles games, winning 8-4 at No. 1 and 8-1 at No. 3.
- Rookie Isabel Cepeda (Mason, Ohio / William Mason) contributed a double-bagel at No. 6 in what proved to be the clinching match.
- Classmate Rachel Zubrinsky (Waxhaw, N.C./Marvin Ridge) and junior Michele Lehat (Great Neck, N.Y./John L. Miller Great Neck North) each only dropped one game at No. 5 and No. 4, respectively, winning 6-0, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-0.
- Leavitt had a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 2, while junior Keren Khromchenko (Academy of Allied Health and Sciences) had the afternoon's only three-set match, winning 6-0, 6-7 (5-7), 10-4, with the final set decided in a super tiebreaker.
HOW IT HAPPENED – MEN
- Goldberg teamed with junior Zach Cihlar (Phoenix, Ariz. / Brophy College Prep.) for an 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles.
- Wilson contributed a 6-3, 6-2, win at No. 6 singles.
- The Judges won all six singles matches in straight sets, with junior Ethan Saal (Scarsdale, N.Y./Abraham Joshua Heschel School) cruising to a 6-0, 6-0, win at No. 6.
- Junior Jackson Kogan (Pacific Palisades, Calif./Windward School) at No. 2 and Cihlar at No. 3 each lost just two games in their matches, 6-0, 6-2, and 6-1, 6-1, respectively.
- The closest match of the day came at No. 1 doubles, where sophomore David Aizenberg (Highland Park, Ill./Highland Park) and rookie Anupreeth Coramutla (Monroe Township, N.J./Phillips Andover) won, 8-6.
- The Judges depart for Florida next week to take part in the University Athletic Association tournament in Altamonte Springs.
- The seedings for the tournament will be announced next week.