WALTHAM, Massachusetts — The Brandeis University volleyball team opened its 2016 season with a decisive 3-0 win over Smith College on the Judges' home floor of Auerbach Arena tonight as part of the Brandeis Invitational. Brandeis won 25-17, 25-16, 25-15.
BRANDEIS'S BALANCED ATTACK
- Brandeis had a balanced effort across the board to register the win.
- Sophomore Zara Platt (Fountain Valley, Calif. / Fountain Valley) and rookie Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) each tallied seven kills, while junior Jessie Moore (Rye, N.Y./Rye) had six.
- Platt had four of her seven kills in the first set. She finished without an error in 11 attacks for a .636 hitting percentage.
- Sophomores Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton College Prep) and Leah Pearlman (El Paso, Texas/El Paso) split setting duties and each finished with 11 assists.
- Defensively, sophomore Yvette Cho (San Diego, Calif. / Rancho Bernardo) led the way with nine digs, while Nork had eight and Moore added seven.
- Senior Jessica Kaufman (Tucson, Ariz./Cienaga) had three block assists.
- Moore led the Judges with 9.5 points thanks to three service aces and a block assist to go with her six kills.
- Elizabeth Peay matched Platt and Bartlett with seven kills.
- Maca Rojas had a match-high 14 assists.
- Julie Voorhees led all players with 17 digs.
- Brandeis meets Rhode Island College and Wellesley tomorrow on Day Two of the Brandeis Invitational.
- Smith will take on Southern Maine and Endicott.
- 30 -