WALTHAM, Massachusetts — The Brandeis University volleyball team split on the second day of action at the 2016 Brandeis Invitational. The Judges swept Rhode Island College, 3-0, before falling to Wellesley, 3-1, to finish the weekend with a 2-1 record.
AGAINST RIC (25-21, 25-16, 25-17)
- The Judges had a balanced attack against the Anchormen, with six players registering between five and eight kills.
- Tied for team-high honors with eight kills were sophomores Shea Decker-Jacoby (Los Angeles, Calif./Marymount) and Zara Platt (Fountain Valley, Calif./Fountain Valley) and rookie Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury).
- Sophomore setter Leah Pearlman (El Paso, Texas/El Paso) had 20 assists, her fifth career match with 20 or more helpers. Classmate Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton College Prep) added 16 assists.
- Sophomore Grace Krumpack (Cincinnati, Ohio/Colraine) had a match-high 12 digs, while libero Yvette Cho (San Diego, Calif./Rancho Bernardo) had 11. Krumpack also contributed a team-high three service aces.
- The Judges hit .229 for the match as a team (41 K-19E-96 TA).
AGAINST WELLESLEY (19-25, 25-15, 18-25, 19-25)
- Brandeis split the first two sets with the Blue, with the 10-point margin in the second set the largest of the match.
- Trailing 2-1, the Judges fell behind 10-0 in the fourth set, but battled to get back within 23-19 before ultimately falling short.
- Krumpack notched her third career double-double in the losing effort, leading Brandeis with 11 kills and finishing second with 11 digs.
- Bartlett added seven kills and Decker-Jacoby had five, but the rest of the team combined for just 10 more.
- Nork finished with 15 assists and three service aces.
- Cho recorded 14 digs, her season-high. After finishing the tournament with 34 digs and five service aces across the three matches, Cho was named to the All-Tournament team.
- Brandeis hosts Regis and Bowdoin in the MIT Invitational next Friday at 4 and 6 p.m. before playing Tufts and Endicott at MIT the next day.
- 30 -