WALTHAM, Massachusetts — The Brandeis University volleyball went 1-1 on the first day of action in the 2016 MIT Invitational. The Judges hosted the first two rounds and defeated Regis College in three sets, but lost to 23rd-ranked Bowdoin in three. The Judges are now 3-2 overall this season.
AGAINST REGIS (25-13, 25-19, 25-16)
- The Judges' offense saw three players tie for match-high honors with six kills each.
- Sophomore Zara Platt (Fountain Valley, Calif./Fountain Valley) had just one error in 18 chances for a team-best .278 percentage.
- Sophomore Shea Decker-Jacoby (Los Angeles, Calif./Marymount) and rookie Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) hit .133 and .154, respectively.
- Sophomore setter Leah Pearlman (El Paso, Texas/El Paso) had 11 assists, while classmate Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton College Prep) added nine and two service aces.
- Sophomore Kirsten Frauens (Webster, N.Y. / Webster Schroeder) had four aces to lead all players.
- Defensively, Sophomore Grace Krumpack (Cincinnati, Ohio/Colraine) and libero Yvette Cho (San Diego, Calif./Rancho Bernardo) each registered a match-high 13 digs.
AGAINST BOWDOIN (22-25, 21-25, 17-25)
- Against the 23rd-ranked Polar Bears, the Judges saw large early deficits in each set, but battled back before ultimately falling in three.
- Brandeis trailed 12-7 in the first before scoring six in a row to take a 13-12 lead. The set was tied at 18-18 before the Polar Bears went back ahead and hung on for a 25-22 win.
- Down 21-11 in the second set, the Judges got with 23-21 before falling 25-21.
- In the third, a 20-9 deficit was as close as 23-17 before the visitors closed it out.
- Bartlett led the Judges with a career-high nine kills and had a .227 hitting percentage (9 K-4 E-22 TA).
- Frauens and Decker-Jacoby each had six kills, while senior Jessica Kaufman (Tucson, Arizona/Cienaga) had four kills in five attempts for an .800 percentage.
- Frauens also set a career-high with five blocks (one solo), as the Judges ahd seven team blocks to just two for the Polar Bears.
- Pearlman had 16 assists, while Nork finished with 13 and two service aces.
- Cho finished with 13 digs for the second match in a row.
- Brandeis hit .321 in their third set rally (12-3-28) and .194 for the match (21-14-93), but Bowdoin hit .476 (12-2-21) in the final set and .247 for the match (36-14-89).
- Brandeis meets Tufts and Endicott at 1 and 3 pm tomorrow at MIT.
- Bowdoin takes on Roger Williams and host MIT tomorrow at 11 am and 3 pm.
- 30 -