WALTHAM, Massachusetts — The Brandeis University volleyball team was unable to overcome a couple of big deficits tonight as the Judges dropped a four-set decision to Emerson College, 20-25, 25-23, 22-25, 18-25. Brandeis falls to 4-6 on the season, while the Lions improve to 10-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson took the first set, 25-20, as the Brandeis offense struggled. The Lions had 12 kills to six for the Judges.
- Brandeis sophomore libero Yvette Cho (San Diego, Calif./Rancho Bernardo) helped keep the Judges in the set with 12 digs.
- EC senior Jules Augustine (Skaneateles, N.Y. / Skaneateles) had five kills – one fewer than the Brandeis team.
- The Judges bounced back in the second set, using a 6-2 run to break a 6-all tie and never trailing again to win, 25-23.
- Sophomore Zara Platt (Fountain Valley, Calif. / Fountain Valley) and junior Jessie Moore (Rye, N.Y./Rye) each had three kills in the set, while Augustine had six more.
- The third set was also tied at 6-6, but Emerson scored the next four in a row to take the lead for good. Leading, 11-8, the Lions looked to put things away by winning eight points in a row on the serve of sophomore setter Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill. / Glenbrook South) for a 19-8 lead.
- Brandeis sophomore Leah Pearlman (El Paso, Texas/El Paso) stopped the run with a tip kill, sparking a 5-0 run with three-straight service aces to get Brandeis within 19-13.
- Despite an error that snapped the streak, Brandeis got a side out and allowed sophomore Grace Krumpack (Cincinatti, Ohio/Colrain) to serve. She got a back-row kill that jump-started the Brandeis attack, winning five more points in a row. Moore had two kills, and a block by rookie Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) and sophomore Kirsten Frauens (Webster, N.Y./Webster Schroeder) made it a one-point game, 20-19.
- A Brandeis error gave the serve back to Emerson, and the Lions were able to hang on for the 25-22 win.
- In the fourth set, the visitors jumped out to a 9-0 lead, again on the serve of Brennan. The Lions' advantage reached 18-4 before Brandeis made a run.
- The Judges scored nine of the next 10 points, with Bartlett recording three kills and a block in the stretch, while a Pearlman ace made it 19-13.
- The Lions Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J. / Randolph) answered with a kill and Emerson was able to close out the fourth, 25-18.
- Moore led Brandeis with 10 kills, while Bartlett had eight kills and five block assists.
- Pearlman recorded her second double-double of the season with 15 assists and 10 digs. She also contributed two kills and four service aces, a match0high.
- Cho paced the defensive effort with 26 digs, a season-high and two short of her career-best set October 28, 2015, at Lasell.
- Senior Jessica Kaufman (Tucson, Ariz./Cienaga) had six kills and just one error in 12 chances for a team-high .417 hitting percentage. She also had four block assists.
- Augustine had a match-high 14 kills, while Bella Edwards (Palisades, Calif. / Palisades) added 13.
- Augustine also had just two errors in 30 attempts for a .400 hitting percentage.
- Brennan registered a double-double with 40 assists and team-high 22 digs.
- Guerra had five kills and five blocks (two solo).
- Brandeis heads to Gorham, Maine, on Saturday to take on UMass Dartmouth and Southern Maine in a tri-match.
- Emerson heads to Springfield College Saturday for their third NEWMAC match of the season.
- 30 -