GORHAM, Maine – The Brandeis University volleyball team climbed back to the .500 mark with a pair of wins at the University of Southern Maine on Saturday afternoon. The Judges used the balanced attack that has been their hallmark all season to open with a sweep of UMass Dartmouth, then got a double-double from sophomore Grace Krumpack (Cincinnati, Ohio/Colraine) to defeat the host Huskies in three sets. The Judges are now 6-6 on the season.
AGAINST UMASS-DARTMOUTH (25-21, 25-23, 25-18)
- The Judges had six different players supply between five and eight kills to defeat the Corsairs.
- Sophomore Shea Decker-Jacoby (Los Angeles, California/Marymount) led the team with eight kills, while rookie Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Massachusetts/Duxbury) had seven.
- Senior Jessica Kaufman (Tucson, Arizona/Cienaga) and sophomore Kirsten Frauens (Webster, N.Y./Webster Schroeder) each had five kills without an error. Kaufman hit .556 (5 kills in 9 attacks), while Frauens hit .417 (5 kills in 12 attacks).
- Junior Jessie Moore (Rye, New York/Rye) had six kills, while Krumpack had five.
- Brandeis also used a fine team defensive effort, with 10 different players recording digs. Krumpack led the squad with eight, while sophomore Yvette Cho (San Diego, California/Rancho Bernardo) had seven.
- Sophomore setters Marlee Nork (Chicago, Illinois/Walter Payton College Prep) and Leah Pearlman (El Paso, Texas/El Paso) combined for 29 assists, with Nork providing 18 helpers and Pearlman 11.
- Brandeis also tied a season-high with 12 service aces, paced by four from Cho and three by Krumpack.
AGAINST SOUTHERN MAINE (25-15, 27-25, 25-23)
- Krumpack recorded her second double-double of the season and the fourth of her career with 14 kills and 13 digs.
- The 14 kills were a career-high. She also hit for a career-best .333 percentage (14 K-5E-27 TA).
- Bartlett added 12 kills, reaching double figures for the second time in her career, while also hitting at a .333 clip (12 K-3 E-27 TA).
- Pearlman led the squad with 22 digs, while Nork had 14. The duo paced Brandeis to a season-best .266 hitting percentage (46 K-17 E-109 TA).
- Cho led the defensive effort with 23 digs, joining Krumpack in double figures.
- The Judges travel to Pittsburgh next weekend for the first of two University Athletic Association round robins. They face Chicago and Washington University on Saturday and host Carnegie Mellon on Sunday.